CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Shane Rapp

Profile:
Rampage gets arrested

This is unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo News
Jackson arrested after police chase
By Kevin Iole and Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

1 hour, 49 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintFormer UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was arrested and held on $25,000 bail following a traffic accident Tuesday afternoon in Costa Mesa, Calif.

According to Costa Mesa police Lt. Paul Dondero, an officer observed the 30-year old Jackson driving with a flat tire on his 2008 Ford F-350 pickup truck and talking on his cell phone (which recently became illegal while driving in Calif.) and attempted to pull him over.

Dondero said Jackson, a resident of Irvine, Calif., ignored the officer and continued driving with the officer in pursuit.

Police had received a report of a vehicle involved in a collision on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa, which struck other vehicles and fled the scene, Dondero said.

The chase continued with the vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, including at one point driving on the wrong side of the road and even on a sidewalk, scaring pedestrians.

Dondero said Jackson hit two cars at 19th Street and Newport Boulevard at 1:13 p.m., but failed to stop. He said a Costa Mesa police officer saw the truck near 17th Street and attempted to pull it over.

Jackson fled and hit at least one more car before the five-minute chase ended with his arrest, the lieutenant said.

The officer saw the vehicle in a second collision. It is believed nobody was injured.

The car continued to Newport Beach, where the tire blew out and came off the rim and he was taken into the Orange County Central jail, where he is being held on $25,000 bail. The fighter was charged with hit-and-run driving, felony evading and reckless driving.

UFC president Dana White flew to Orange County upon learning of the arrest and said he was driving to the county jail to post bail for Jackson.

The story was initially reported by the website TMZ.com, which has photos of Jackson lying face down on the street behind his truck, a 2008 Ford F-350 turbo diesel, as a police officer has his gun drawn and is pointing it at him.

Jackson won the UFC light heavyweight title by knocking out Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 on May 26, 2007. After a successful defense against Dan Henderson on Sept. 5, Jackson lost the belt to Forrest Griffin on a controversial decision at UFC 86 on July 5 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Jackson’s manager/trainer, Juanito Ibarra, did not immediately return phone calls.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Heath Powell

Profile:
Re: Rampage gets arrested

Wow, as soon as I saw this I went to sherdog.com and sure enough it was top story on the main page.

Here is the link to sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13689

Man when it rains it poors!

The have said that in the past he had a wild temper. I wonder if he just exploded.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Heath Powell

Profile:

Here is one of the TMZ photos

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...opy-6_full.jpg
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

I wonder what his sponsor, Toyo Tires thinks of that pic?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
James Forbes

Profile:

I went to the sherdog story and there was an online ad for some weird test right above Jackson's head that said "Hey Dummy! We bet you can't pass the dumb test."
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Thug life baby

Memphis Thuggin!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
Heath Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Powell View Post
Haha, I think this one showoing the blown out front tire of Jacksons truck with the Toyo tire logo is just as bad!

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/rampage_arrested#22703
Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Danielle Benford

Profile:

Wow. I bet Dana's ****ed. He is very serious when it comes to hurting the image of the UFC (perfect example: kicking Jesse Taylor off of TUF this past season). We all know that Rampage has a bit of an uncontrollable temper... maybe it's back to anger management school for him?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
Helmut Block

Profile:

hmmmm..."No, of course these guys are not drug enhanced" "My athletes would never take steroids"
Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Bob Guere

Profile:

I'm glad we're keeping this forum civilized as usual. Other MMA posts have gone racist and stupid already....

I'm disappointed in Quinton for sure, and I doubt he'll try to explain his way out. What I hope is just a full acceptance of responsibility and an apology to the cops and his fans. That's really all he can do.

If this is another anger incident, he may want to get some more help, that would be a stand-up thing to do also.