CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
David Melrose

Profile:
Re: How does BJJ work w/ CF for fitness?

I dont know personally, maybe someone with experience can tell me

Does being in great rolling shape mean you are in good-great conditioning shape?

BJJ class for me is the hardest thing i have ever done, even more so than Muy Thai and two a days (football).
Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
Becca Borawski

Profile:

BJJ feels exhausting and difficult when you are new because you are incredibly inefficient at it. You are using all sorts of muscles and exerting a lot of energy that you don't need to. The more experienced you get, the more relaxed you learn to be, and the more efficient your movements become. So yes, in the beginning it's exhausting, but it has more to do with your newbie state than the physical exertion actually required

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #13
Jonathan Robert Long

Profile:

want to stop getting tired training? get good at taking everyones back from half guard/ that way you can just pull half guard, lay their for a few minutes then once the guy gets frustrated you can take his back and choke him/ just kidding-kinda///// jiu jitsu is not easy. if its done right, against a resisting partner you will work hard. from white belt all the way through, once a student learns a little defense that person becomes much harder to achieve position on. keep training and try and find little positions you can rest in. try and threaten your partner with solid attacks throughout your training from the start and you may find yourself anticipating a little more of his movement. that way, you can stay ahead of game a little bit and pick when to rest. hope it helps some.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
Jason M Struck

Profile:

becca and john are spot on.

be in the best shape you can be, and relax.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #15
John Maloney

Profile:

Thx for the replies.

Yeah, I think the soreness was/is the growing pains type, as it's definitely getting better. I've even started doing WOD's before the BJJ (not enough energy the other way around). These aren't highly structured classes, more of a BJJ club w/ some combatives instructors & a Gracie blue belt sharing their knowledge. We're not doing 20-30 minutes of drills like I imagine most commercial studios would, so it seems to be working out pretty well. I have had to take some extra rest days though, from feeling so beat up, but that's probably to be expected.

Thx all
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
Valerie Worthington

Profile:

I train BJJ pretty much as a FT job. I started CrossFit (Becca is my teacher!) about a year and a half ago to improve my conditioning, because in my experience, rolling in the academy and rolling in tournaments are two completely different things. Tournament rolling is far more intense and demanding, physically and mentally. And just rolling in the academy is obviously vital for improving my technique, but it did nothing for my confidence or ability to last through multiple tournament matches. CrossFit works wonders for those things.

I am a 38-year-old woman. Recently, many of my twenty-something male teammates have started pulling me aside and saying, "You are so strong, and you never gas out when we roll. WTH are you doing?"

And then I get to tell them about CrossFit.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #17
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Worthington View Post
I train BJJ pretty much as a FT job. I started CrossFit (Becca is my teacher!) about a year and a half ago to improve my conditioning, because in my experience, rolling in the academy and rolling in tournaments are two completely different things. Tournament rolling is far more intense and demanding, physically and mentally. And just rolling in the academy is obviously vital for improving my technique, but it did nothing for my confidence or ability to last through multiple tournament matches. CrossFit works wonders for those things.

I am a 38-year-old woman. Recently, many of my twenty-something male teammates have started pulling me aside and saying, "You are so strong, and you never gas out when we roll. WTH are you doing?"

And then I get to tell them about CrossFit.
I am by no means a physically intimidating guy, but my training partners often comment about me being physically stronger and that I am able to endure more.
I have tried multiple times to get some of my training partners to do one cf workout telling them that this is the main reason for my strength and conditioning improvement, but only a few have taken me up on it.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
Anthony Militello

Profile:

Also some advice to those of you new to grappling...ROLL WITH AS MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE AS YOU CAN!! Being exposed to new people on a consistent bases will help you advance through the ranks very quick. No two people ever share 100% the same style due to different body types/physical attributes. Look at it with a crossfit perspective. Constantly varied efforts.

Also, one thing that I have noticed recently in a lot of newer schools/clubs is lack of instruction and too much rolling. Its the equivalent of trying to do a 1RM snatch your first day of snatching. Your going to get hurt. Pick 2-3 techniques and drill them as many times as you can in a given day and when it comes time to roll/go 50/round robin or anything like that, spend that live time trying to apply the techniques you were just drilling even if you get dominated because of it, make those your priority techniques for the session.

In the words of Fabio Clemente - "learn movements, not moves"

Good luck guys! Your in for a whole lot of fun!
-Anthony

Last edited by Anthony Militello : 08-06-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
Valerie Worthington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
I am by no means a physically intimidating guy, but my training partners often comment about me being physically stronger and that I am able to endure more.
I have tried multiple times to get some of my training partners to do one cf workout telling them that this is the main reason for my strength and conditioning improvement, but only a few have taken me up on it.
My teammate does CF too, and we have about 2 or 3 people who have started workouts on their own because of the results they have seen in us. One guy did an AMRAP of 5 pullups, 10 dips, and 20 squats, and cursed me out the entire time--until he got too tired to do much but focus on the workout.

And then when he was done and collapsed on the floor, he said, "That was awesome!"
Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #20
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Worthington View Post
My teammate does CF too, and we have about 2 or 3 people who have started workouts on their own because of the results they have seen in us. One guy did an AMRAP of 5 pullups, 10 dips, and 20 squats, and cursed me out the entire time--until he got too tired to do much but focus on the workout.

And then when he was done and collapsed on the floor, he said, "That was awesome!"
I curse my way through WODS, but I feel like I have accomplished so much afterwards, knowing I had to push mentally to get through it.

That is the main reason I continue. Even if I didnt see the improvements I have seen, I would do it simply for the mental aspect. So important in competition and in life. Love it!!! But hate while I am doing it.