CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
John Maloney

Profile:
How does BJJ work w/ CF for fitness?

I was in the best shape of my life in terms of pure conditioning as a wrestler (22 yrs ago). By the end of a season, you'd have crazy stamina. So I've gotten interested in getting some mat time again. I'm curious what you guys think of doing BJJ 3x/wk INSTEAD of CF, as opposed to "IN ADDITION TO". Do you think this will have a more positive impact on conditioning, or that sticking w/ straight up CF (3/1) would yield better gains?

Also, I started the BJJ training last week and at 40 years old, it's rough. It's making me feel 60 .... minimum. Holy crap I'm beat & sore. Not DOMS sore, but "ache at night sore" & a bit gimpy. Makes me feel like I need to take a good 3 day rest. Hopefully the soreness is just "growing pains" from being new to it & will mostly go away in short order. Any wisdom here?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Sean Ploskina

Profile:
Re: How does BJJ work w/ CF for fitness?

What kind of conditioning are you looking to improve? If its for BJJ specifically then doing more BJJ will obviously help if only because your skills will improve and you won't work as hard. But if you are looking for a more broad application of conditioning Crossfit is much better. Remember that BJJ is not about overpowering your opponent, its supposed to be technique over strength. I am not saying that strength and conditioning are not factors though. I personally have found that crossfit has significantly improved my BJJ conditioning.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
David Melrose

Profile:

I just turned 40 and yea the aches and pains definitely get better with time.

I am struggling with adding strength/conditioning to my BJJ as well.

Trying to find a balance is a bit of a challenge.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Jason Ackerman

Profile:

A few things I have noticed:

1. nothing gets you in shape for BJJ better than BJJ,

2. however, if I don't get much mat time, I always keep my CF WODs coming and when I get back to practice I am still in better condition than people there more often.

3. BJJ won't do much to improve your CF WODs, but CF will help BJJ, a great example is my teacher is a great Brown belt that never runs out of energy on the mat, but struggles through CF.

4. I agree BJJ is a lot of technique but when you play the power and explosiveness you gain from CF to good technique it makes for one sick grappler.

5. If time were not of the essence I would do both, eat well, rest and recover.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
David Melrose

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ackerman View Post
A few things I have noticed:

, I always keep my CF WODs coming and when I get back to practice I am still in better condition than people there more often.

Does this mean that CF DOES give you better conditioning then BJJ?

If you are in better condition then why?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Graham Tidey

Profile:

What I've noticed:

I'm 24 and also get sore at night in bed. Waking up is DIFFICULT. For that reason I've stopped doing CF on BJJ days just until my body starts to like BJJ a bit more.

I get tired fast (and I'm sure you too) because I'm rushing around on the mat like an idiot, doing everything quick and tense and using far too much physical strength. I'll be able to roll for a long time without getting gasses, as someone above said, in the future because I'll have learnt to go with the flow and relax and not use force.

You can never go with the flow, relax and not use force on a CF wod!

And yeah, I can't see how anything would prepare you for BJJ like BJJ.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Neil Duncan

Profile:

I believe CF most certainly does help with BJJ, technique comes no1, of course.. but like my instructor has always said.. if you come up against someone who's technique is as good as or better than yours, then strength and conditioning makes a whole world of difference.

I fought in an openweight tournament recently, and beat both a heavyweight and a superheavyweight and I believe my fitness really did enable me to win and not get squashed.

Incidentally, my instructor who is one of the most respected and accomplished Brown belts in the UK is also a CF monster.. we did 'Fran' the other day and he got 4.55 (iirc) on his 1st attempt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Tidey View Post
What I've noticed:
And yeah, I can't see how anything would prepare you for BJJ like BJJ.
Have to agree with that too, mind.. especially near a competition time, you need to rack up the mat time in competition-level sparring.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Scott Borre

Profile:

Almost every top level martial artist/wrestler does a lot of conditioning work besides mat time. Its like sprinters who do resistance running. At times you want to do something that is harder/heavier/etc than what you are competing in. This allows you to do what you are competing in a tad easier. But body resistance training (e.g. mat time in wrestling/BJJ) is also very necessary and trains you like weights can't (due to the resistance another body has, and the unevenness of weight distribution).

How any of this works together is take a chart. On the y axis put ability level, on the x axis put time. What you want to find is how to reach the maximum ability level in the time you have. For some its skill training nearly 100%. Any CF style workout will just prevent the ability they have to do skill training (due to total fatigue). When its 3 weeks out from a match, you aren't going to get much stronger, so you are doing maintenance workouts but focusing on skill training.

If you are highly skilled, but get gassed early, can't complete moves very well due to lack of strength, have a problem escaping holds due to lack of strength, etc... then you need to improve your strength at the expense of skill training. So essentially its adjusting the sliding bar to figure out how to allocate your time. And only you (or with a coach) can figure that out.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
David Melrose

Profile:

I am starting to believe that if you want to get good at BJJ, do BJJ alot.

So if you have 5 days a week you should be working out, do BJJ 5 days a week.

At some point when the 5 days a week is no longer a challenge then add in some additional strength or conditioning if possible.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Melrose View Post
I am starting to believe that if you want to get good at BJJ, do BJJ alot.

So if you have 5 days a week you should be working out, do BJJ 5 days a week.

At some point when the 5 days a week is no longer a challenge then add in some additional strength or conditioning if possible.
Being GOOD at BJJ is a different thing than being in good condition and possessing strength.

If you want good BJJ technique, then yes, by all means train EVERY DAY.

If you want to be strong and conditioned, do CrossFit.

If you want both, do both.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com