CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Travis Elliott

Profile:
I am not "in the zone" with the zone diet

Ok I am very bad at having to stay with in a diets parameters. So I am looking for a little help from the pros on here.

I would like to know if someone can tell me how to do the Zone. I know there is a book but money is short and i dont want to spend the $ on something that I may not stay with.

There are blocks but how do I put the meals together in these blocks.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: I am not "in the zone" with the zone diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Elliott View Post
Ok I am very bad at having to stay with in a diets parameters. So I am looking for a little help from the pros on here.

I would like to know if someone can tell me how to do the Zone. I know there is a book but money is short and i dont want to spend the $ on something that I may not stay with.

There are blocks but how do I put the meals together in these blocks.

Thanks
Allow me to be the first to say....

Do a search. Literally hundreds of posts on this topic.

You're first search should be for crossfit journal 21. The May 04 volume. Free and an excellent resource.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Travis Elliott

Profile:

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-20-2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: this boy still has nothing good to say.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:

Well you're asking very general questions about the zone diet when there is a wealth of information posted about this exact topic all over the boards and the internet. If you have a local library, zone diet books are all over the place and libraries are free...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Travis Elliott

Profile:

/.................

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-20-2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: really. Just nothing useful to say.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
chris adams

Profile:

have you gone to zonediet.com?

You could probably pick up a used copy of the book for very little cost at most used book stores or amazon.

The library also has it.

Last edited by chris adams : 06-11-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
chris adams

Profile:

also.... just did a google search for crossfit journal #21

here's the link

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2007...fit_journ.html
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Elliott View Post
Damn there are a lot of uppity people on here. I have been on a MMA site for years and several lifitng sites and people are help full not rude. If you dont want to answer fine but dont take all the time to write a bunch of crap if you arent going to answer the thread question. I have heard that crossfit was this way but wasnt going to prejudge. Some of you are proving the rumors to be true.
Actually I think this is a "feature" of online communities in general, fitness related or otherwise. FWIW, I have encountered the same thing in countless computer related forums (and trust me, most of those are a hundred times less newbie-friendly than this place). At first I was quite offended, but now I understand where they're coming from. I honestly don't think anyone is trying to be rude. Try to understand things from their perspective - there are a lot of really knowledgeable people who grow weary at answering the same questions over and over again from those who have just discovered the community. On the other hand you have new people coming in every day, eager to learn and quick to ask the same questions. It's a tough balance between attracting new members and not constantly repeating yourself.

I think the "do a search" suggestion is just an application of the "teach a man to fish" philosophy. Once you get adept at searching the site you'll be able to quickly find all kinds of information on anything you're wondering about, and be able to read past discussions on every topic, ad nauseum. Said another way, I think they're just trying to help you out.

At any rate, I personally prefer using Google to search the site. Here is an example (w/fs) search that finds everything with "Zone" in the title across the entire website. You can use "site:board.crossfit.com" to restrict to only the message board.

With regard to your question specifically, I'm not the best to answer since I don't currently follow the Zone (I did about a year ago). But I think the best approach is to get practiced at measuring the blocks. At first it seems quite inconvenient and impractical to do the measuring, but after a little while it will become second nature and you'll be able to just eyeball portions without needing scales and measuring cups. Then work on a few core automatic meals/recipes you can just make knowing exactly what blocks they'll have and build from there. Make large enough batches so you can have some leftovers to take to work or heat up when you're in a hurry. Basically, try to build it into your routine. Good luck!

Last edited by Jeff Evans : 06-11-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Travis - not cool. Honestly with all of the information about the zone diet on this site you do not need the book. I have zoned for the last six months and haven't bought anything. Keep reading and chill out.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Having a hard time spotting where anyone was rude to you, Travis. Searching for yourself is a lot more efficient than posting and waiting for answers anyways; I think people were just trying to get you in the habit of it. Whether you found CFJ #21 or not, there are tons and tons of threads that cover this.

A lot of these questions are asked every day, and generally you see the same responses, so really searching is just a better way than hoping people who answer the same "Getting Started" questions day in and day out will take the time to answer yours as well.

I, however, will bite

Someone has provided the link to CFJ #21, which is a great starting point for Zone. Keep in mind that it's more of an "eyeball" version, and if you're really planning on going at it, it's probably not the most ideal place to start, outside of just getting a basic idea of it.

I know you said money is tight, but a few books can be found on eBay for like $5, including shipping. I suggest you try to find (eBay, used, whatever):

"Mastering the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears
"The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain

Again, I know you said money is tight, but there are also some decent nutrition lectures in some of the other CrossFit Journals (they aren't free, unfortunately, but a 1 year subscription is just $25 and is well worth it).

If all of that fails, there's lots of free info both on these boards and elsewhere online, but personally I prefer to have it from a "legitimate source" like a book.

Also:

Most people here won't recommend the Zone to anyone who isn't committed to staying with it. This isn't meant as a jab, but just a precaution. Most people here see it not as a "diet" in the more faddish sense of the word, but as a complete change to their lifestyle and eating habits -- usually for life. There are many ways to lose weight outside of Zone, but none quite as healthy, in my eyes. So take a look at your own level of commitment and choose the option that works best for you. Just because everyone here says Zone is great (which it is!), does not mean it will necessarily work for you, for whatever reason.

Just like starting a fitness program takes time and serious commitment, diet is no different. So be aware that Zone does take significant thought and effort, but, like anything that becomes routine, it becomes much easier once your body adapts and recognizes that this is how it's going to eat whether it likes it or not.

Lastly:

Just generally, your total block count is derived from the amount of protein required to sustain your Lean Body Mass.

There are 7g of protein in a block
There are 9g of carbs in a block
There are 3g (or 1.5g) of fat in a block

Whatever your Lean Body Mass is, multiple it by 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 or something similar (this is about how many grams of protein you should eat per pound of Lean Body Mass -- for most CrossFitters it's between 0.7 and 0.9g per pound), then divide that by 7 to get the number of blocks you should be consuming daily of Protein, Carbs and Fat.

e.g.
150 pounds LBM
150 * (0.8g protein per pound) = 120g total protein per day
120 / (7g protein per block) = 17.1 = 17 blocks per day

There are simple ways to do Zone, and there are very elaborate ways to do it. The effectiveness of the diet can sometimes hinge on how seriously you go at it. All up to you really.

Good luck!

Last edited by Elliot Fuller : 06-11-2008 at 09:25 PM.