CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Has anyone had any experience with the Genius of Flexibility. This is a new book on flexibility
Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
It looks to me like something you should read while in Barnes and Noble. I can't see spending money on it.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Was in Barnes & Noble yesterday... spent about 10 minutes going through it.

Initial Impression: Seems to have an impressive resume, or at least claims some impressive things.

Revelation: The "genius" referred to in the book's title is the body's innate knowledge of how to stretch itself.

Skimming: Basically the author did a lot of stretching and found a method that he hadn't heard of before. It's similar to PNF in some respects, but definitely not the same. Basically comes down to using light resistance against the stretch as you use other limbs/people/things to apply a stretching force. The book seems to address this in a reasonably safe manner, though some methods require several people to stretch you. The author mentioned becoming stronger through stretching too.

The author also incorporates meridians from oriental medicine, and contends that stretching along some of these meridians can cure/prevent various ailments. Apparently the meridians may also be used to determine which stretches are done in what order.

Overall: Seems interesting, but not nearly as many pics as one might expect, nor do I recall seeing any way to quickly reference some of the more complex material. The method may be valid (at least to some degree), but it wasn't clear (in the short time I spent on it) whether the explanations provided were comprehensive enough to permit the reader to take full advantage of it.

I chose not to purchase the book because the basics of the method are simple enough to explore, but all the meridian theories became rather convoluted and I have way too much other reading to catch up on right now. My rating is neutral. I will not recommend this book, but I can't say that it's necessarily a waste of money.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
John Kaupp

Profile:
I have not read the 'Genius', but I have watched the Relax into Stretch video by Pavel. Uses more of a tension followed by relaxation technique to trick your body into getting more range of motion. I would recommend this video, I don't know what kinds of pictures the book has however. Definitely works.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Relax Into Stretch is simply PNF stretching. No great Russian secret. Was developed in the west for spinal patients, and a body of work grew out of it. I have Relax Into Stretch and it's okay, but you get much better info on stretching from Thomas Kurz (Scientific Stretching and www.stadion.com).

For mobility, go with Scott Sonnon (www.rmax.tv - start with Warrior Wellness and Body-Flow)

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Sam Marusich

Profile:
Re: The Genius of Flexibility

Seems like this was brought back into the spotlight with Olympic swimmer Dara Torres.

wfs A Swimmer of a Certain Age (nytimes)
Quote:
"Torres calls resistance stretching her “secret weapon.” Bob Cooley, who invented the discipline, describes it in less-modest terms. According to Cooley, over a two-week period in 1999, his flexibility system turned Torres “from being an alternate on the relay team to the fastest swimmer in America.” The secret to Torres’s speed, Cooley says, is that his technique not only makes her muscles more flexible but also increases their ability to shorten more completely, and when muscles shorten more completely, they produce greater power and speed."
wfs *Video of her on front page http://www.meridianstretching.com/index.html
Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Jason, nice example of a useful summary / review that doesn't violate copyright. Gives the essential issues, personalizes your reaction to it, and explains your reaction. Would that we all posted so well . . .
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

8 hours of bodywork a day. Damn, I don't know if that sounds like pain or pleasure. Heaven or hell. Sounds ridiculously expensive too. Bill Sands did note that recovery needed to be looked into far more for Elite gymnasts and lower and that it was a real key to performance.

I see stretching as bodywork except solo. However a good masseuse/whatever really knows what they are doing or should versa the kinda figuring things out done in solo stretching.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Johan Nederhof

Profile:

I've been to a day long workshop given by Cooley in Amsterdam.
I think his system is great. I can say from personal experience, and as a sport masseur for several years, this works faster than normal stretching or massage.
I've helped several people in the last couple of weeks and they al had great results. And it did not take all day, only about 10-15 min each.
I do not know the book, but the course and the man are great. A bit strange, for sure, but it defenitely works.