CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Andy Robinson

Profile:  
Toe touch danger??

I have always used the classic toe touch in my warm ups, but recently heard that it can cause injury due to lumbar curve compromise. Can anyone attest to the truth of this, and should a stretch in the straight legged deadlift position be used instead?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Toe touch danger??

If you want to keep the stretch in your hamstrings, keep the lower back arched. And yes, it could be dangerous due to the spinal position, but I'm not going to freak out like it's a 400lb deadlift.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Doug Holland

Profile:

Hey Andy,

When I was in Martial arts we did a hamstring stretch that was safe for the spine and it simulates toe touching.

Sit on the floor in the L position with back vertical and straight and legs together. Have a friend do the same in the opposite direction.

Put your backs flat against each other with butts touching. Then one leans back while the other leans forward. Your backs should act like a support for the lumbars.

Doug
Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Forward bends are good (although doing it before physical activity is debatable) there few points to consider though when you are bending forward "all the way": you should do forward bends from your hips, that will make your lumbar area straight or arched and is most important safety precaution. You should stop at the point when you loose straight spine even if it is far away from toes. Also many people hyperextend their knees by keeping quads relaxed. To avoid that pull the knee cap up strongly, tighten the quads and keep it there at all times, it is a good practice during any forward bend (ask any yoga teacher).
Here are detailed instructions:
Big Toe Pose
w/f safe
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19