CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Eddie Clark

Profile:
Market Research Survey *Need your assistance*

- Currently I am developing a business plan for a future CrossFit facility/affiliate.

- To assist me in the market analysis portion of the plan I am developing a couple of surveys. One trying to determine who are CrossFit athletes and another geared towards lessons learned from current affiliates.

- I am creating these surveys through Zoomerang, an online survey development and analysis tool.

- Once I have compiled the questions and created the surveys I would like the CrossFit community's assistance in distributing and taking the survey.

- In return I will make the results of the survey available to the CrossFit community.

- I believe with the support of the community all of us, participants, current and future affiliates can benefit greatly from the information obtained through this survey.

- I am acutely aware that there is a lot of information out there that I don't know that I don't know about. This is where I need your help now. What should I be asking current and potential CrossFit victims?

-Below is a list of questions that I have brainstormed on my own. If you could look them over and make suggestions about additional questions or changes to current questions that would be greatly appreciated.

- Try to limit open ended questions.

- When supplying multiple choice questions list the available choices also.

- I intend to open the survey within 2 weeks.

- I have the ability to create several surveys so if ideas come up for additional surveys that might be helpful I am all ears.

- I will post another thread pertaining to affiliates later.

- In defense of the questions below they were compiled during a brainstorm session so not all of these questions will be used.

Personal Questions
• Age?
• Sex?
• Married?
• Children?
• Occupation?
• Annual income?
• Highest level of education?
• Military veteran?
• If veteran what branch?
• If veteran what was your specialty/occupation? (ie: Infantry, Supply)
• What kind of home, apartment or condo do you live in?
• Do you rent or own your home?
• Where do you go on vacation?
• What kind of car/truck/SUV do you drive?
• What kinds of magazines do you read?
• What nationality are you?
• What forms of entertainment do you indulge in?
• Are you attending college/university?

Previous Physical Activity
• Active in sports while in high school, college or beyond?
• What level of recognition/accomplishment did you attain if any? (varsity, state champion, national champion, Olympic qualifier, professional level, coach)
• Do you currently participate in any athletic endeavours? 5k runs, Triathalons, Olympic Weightlifting, Soccer team, volleyball team, fitness center/gym member, etc. etc.
• If so what activities do you participate in?
• What are your reasons/goals for participating in the above physical endeavours?
• Do you prefer team sports (ie. soccer) or individual (ie. running)?
• What do you like/dislike about participating in team sports?
• What do you like/dislike about participating in individual sports?
• Do you consider yourself athletic/fit now?
• Why do/don’t you consider yourself athletic/fit?

CrossFit Exposure
• How did you find out about CrossFit?
• How did you find out about your local affiliate?
• Are you currently or ever been a member of a CrossFit affiliate?
• Have you ever worked out at a CrossFit affiliate?
• What was the membership rates/fees?
• Was the rates/fees fair in your opinion?
• If applicable, why did you leave/stop working out at the affiliate?
• What was your opinion of the level of coaching you received at the affiliate?
• How far away did you live from the affiliate?
• How far would you consider driving to an affiliate’s gym to workout?
• Did you feel that the workouts were too difficult/easy?
• How many times a week did you attend classes?
• What were/are you fitness goals?
• Are/were you achieving those goals through CrossFit?
• Would you recommend CrossFit to your friends and family?
• Would you recommend the CrossFit affiliate to your friends and family?
• What times of the day did you got to the affiliate to work out?
• Were there enough classes offered so that you were able to attend them?
• Is there a shower at the affiliate you attended?
• Did the availibility of a shower affect your ability/desire to attend classes?
• Would you prefer monthly unlimited classes at a fixed rate per class or would you prefer an unlimited membership where you could attend as many classes per week as you would like?
• Would you attend a CrossFit certification seminar?

Previous Fitness Center/Gym Experiences
• Have you belonged to another fitness center/ gym before?
• Are you still there? If not why did you leave?
• What did you like about the fitness center/gym?
• What didn’t you like about the fitness center/gym?
• How far away did you live from the fitness center/ gym?
• How much did you pay per month to be a member of the fitness center or gym?
• Did you participate in group fitness classes?
• What kind of group fitness classes did you participate in?
• Have you worked with a personal trainer?
• What did or didn’t you like about working with a personal trainer?

Opinions
• What would make a great CrossFit affiliate gym in your opinion?
• What is the single most important factor affecting your decision to join a fitness center/gym/CrossFit affiliate?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Market Research Survey *Need your assistance*

First rule of surveys - make them short otherwise people lose interest and you will get just any old answer!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I should add I have quite a bit to do with surveys at work. The hardest is to get people to answer and answer seriously. We deal with growers/farmers. The only way I find in the end is to ring each one up and do it painfully over the phone. Otherwise your response rate is <30%. Maybe cross fit people are different. Answers are not always that simple. Neither are the questions. I am frequently on the receiving end of surveys that I just can't be bothered answering because they a) don't ask the right questions b) are obviously after a particular answer, ie predetermined.

Have you given thought to how you are going to analyse it?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Aileen,

This is how I intend to use the info:

1- Use the answers to help define and segment the market.
2- Compare the market segments to census data to find out the size of each segment and potential for growth in the location that I intend to operate in.
3- Use the data that I find from number 2 to help identify and narrow down my target market.
4- Use the answers to help guide the development of various systems used throughout the business.
5- Use the information to conduct a thorough SWOT analysis.
6- To identify possible trends that no one has noticed before.

Is that what you were asking? I have never really conducted market analysis before. But I assume the information that I gather should help affect business decisions.

I am hoping that since the CrossFit community is fairly supportive that the percentage of respondents might actually be a little better. Besides were not really dealing with corn meal here. CrossFit is something that most participants are passionate about.

What is a good number of questions for a survey? Length is definitely a concern. That was one of the questions I meant to ask in the first post.

Last edited by Eddie Clark : 02-16-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:

You ask about pricing for those who have been to CF affiliates but not to those who haven't. Maybe something along the lines of:

-How many days per week would you attend CF classes? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7?

-What would you pay per month to join a CF affiliate? 50-60,60-70,.....,150+
Old 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Thanks John.
That's what I was looking for.

After I get my list I will start ranking the questions by their affect on business decisions. That will help narrow down the pool quite a bit.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Jason M Struck

Profile:

Aileen's right about length.

I know you want to know the answers to all those questions, and I can't wait to hear your results myself, but I think that shorter is better.

If you can decide on a few that are 'less necessary' it may be in your best interests.

Don't allow an odd number of ranks, ie 4 is better than 5. With a five choice, someone can just pick three (neutral). 4 forces someone to choose either positive or negative responses. Perhaps glibly, but they will go with their guts/first instinct, and that info may be helpful.

good luck
Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Jason,
Thanks I will definitely work on making it shorter...I will prioritize and edit the list of questions that will actually go into the survey. Good stuff on the ranking questions.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Eddie, I'm going to take you at your word that you're open to constructive criticism. I share your (presumed) love of data and analysis, and it would be hella fun to do sociological analysis of CrossFitters. However, I don't think it's terribly relevant to the actual decisions you need to make in starting your affiliate.

1. Aileen's point: ASAP. As short as possible.

2. Make it fun. If you are going to be presumptuous and ask more than 3 questions, you'll have to engage them by making some light jokes and trying to get them on your side.

You need to identify the data points that REALLY matter. (IMHO, ***IF*** your goal is to help guide your decisions in starting an affiliate, the only relevant questions may be a) do you prefer location A, B, or C? b) do you prefer to work out before work, at lunch, or after work? -OR- would you join the 6am, 7am, 12pm, 5pm, 6pm or 7pm class? c) Which motivates you the most, 1) fat loss & look better naked, 2) improving athletic performance, 3) protecting my health, mobility and preventing disease)

What exactly do you want to learn from your survey? Doing social science is different from making business decisions. Exactly how many options do you have in starting your affiliate? Location is HUGE. Scheduling classes is certainly relevant, but... do you already have 20+ clients? If not, start with training as your priority and meet one-on-one *at their convenience* before classes become relevant (right?). Pricing -- you cannot trust surveys for this, I promise you. A survey is NOT a "first training session," and your prospective client's "BUY or NOT BUY" decision is going to be motivated in their experience with a first training session or other example of interacting with you, your trainers or your facility, or witnessing your clients in their training.

What choices do you have to make? THAT should motivate the questions you need to ask.

Polling existing CrossFitters, one of the things I would bet money you will learn is that you won't find many relevant patterns. It won't help you to tailor a direct marketing campaign, for example, or help you to buy a marketing list, if that's what you're considering.

I've got several more points to make, most of them theoretical / analytical, but let's see how this thread & conversation develop.

BTW, I'm in a similar stage of planning my affiliate, so I really do appreciate your motivation and approach to this, and I'm interested in seeing your success and progress.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
Eddie Clark

Profile:

Kirez and everybody else that has posted on this thread so far...
You guys are saying exactly what I am looking for. I really didn't have any idea how I should even approach researching the community. I am working with Bill Henniger at Rogue Fitness too on this matter and he was telling me the same thing just yesterday. Basically I need to figure out what I want to learn.
There hasn't been a whole lot of replies to this thread but the few responses there are have been very helpful.

I will work on figuring out what I want to know and I will get back to you all.