CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Jacob Vohs

Profile:
Incorporating bodyweight movements into SS

Alright so I have been doing SS for about 2.5 weeks now and I want to put bodyweight dips and pull-ups into the mix. What would be the best day to put these exercises in? I want to train them for as many reps as possible. (My goal is to complete 30 pull-ups and 60 dips) Also would it be alright to put sit-ups on one day and practicing the L-Sit on another day?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Incorporating bodyweight movements into SS

If you're doing SS on M/W/F, then I would do the dips/pull-ups also on M/W/F. If your schedule allows, I would probably do my SS routine earlier in the day, then give myself a few hours, and work in whatever specific work I needed to.

Keep in mind that a lot of people might recommend that you stick ONLY to SS (it's only 6 weeks, after all), and then add the extra stuff once you've finished the program. SS is designed to tax your body, and you don't want to risk over training or injury.

With that said, I believe (I might be mistaken; I think I may have read this online instead of in SS) Coach Rip also does suggest supplemental exercises like pull-ups and push-ups, but I'm thinking probably not in the amounts that you want.

On top of that, you're probably wiser at this point, while doing SS, to do fewer weighted pull-ups, than 30-60 unweighted (30 pull-ups really won't give you a huge advantage if that's all you're doing... I'd say do SS, wait a while, then do some sets of weighted pull-ups). Kinda depends on your goal.

I know this is kind of vague advice, but I'd probably keep the extra stuff light and allow my body to focus 95-100% on the SS routine.

Once/If Steven Low posts, all of your worries will be over
Old 02-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Keep in mind that a lot of people might recommend that you stick ONLY to SS (it's only 6 weeks, after all), and then add the extra stuff once you've finished the program.
I have the SS book yet i dont remebmer reading anywhere where it says it for only 6 weeks... i have just finished my 3rd week of SS ... as far as worksets go iv gone from 135 squat to 180 squat... 105 bench to 120.... should press from 70 to 80 (i started off to high so i backed down).... deadlift from 155 to 210...

i was planning on doing SS till i could do 2 X BW on squat... 2.5 x bw on deadlift.... and 1 - 1.5 x bw for bench....

if i should only do 6 weeks... what should i do after that? crossfit?

sorry if it seems im goign off topic of this post.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Holy crap stop messing with the programming!

SKILL work can be done anytime you want (usually before workouts - L-sits, handstand work, etc.).

Read some of my previous posts in this thread to get a feel of how to put things into the base program.

Quote:
Here is another good example of how to do this (page 46 is main post but read the others for a good background):
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24494

Here is another more recent variation with two more routine constructions:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26612
P.S. But honestly I would just recommend the program as stand alone. Then after if you want to do whatever then do it.

Your goal is more grease the groove type work that you want to do which won't work that well with SS.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Kris Warner

Profile:

Don't F with the program, but since you have been doing it for 2.5 weeks you probably know a bit more than Rip now

If you are going to F with the program (and you are because you are probably a noob) I would only do dips/pullups once a week if you are going to be trying to progress on them. Doing them every workout will only stall the big 3 faster. Getting your squat, bench and dead up fast is the point of the program. If that is not your goal then choose something else. Pullups and dips for easy warmup sets would be fine everyday but it sounds like you are going to be training them hard.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Tom Brose

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post

Once/If Steven Low posts, all of your worries will be over
Well, he is right, once again, but don't get him too big a head!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Nicolas, I'm afraid I don't have a source where I got the 6 weeks figure, but I'm pretty sure that's the "standard" tour. Assuming you're still making gains at the end of 6 weeks, and not leveling off (and assuming you have done the whole "back off 15 and work back up" routine), then it can't possibly hurt to keep on going with it until it ceases to yield results.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Scott Mahn

Profile:

There's no set time period for the program, you're supposed to stay on it until you are no longer able to add weight to each workout. For some people that might take 6 weeks, for others it might take 6 months. And when that time does come it doesn't mean you have to stop the program, but thats when you can begin to modify it with assistance exercises and more intermediate programming.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Listen to these folks advice. I ended up overreaching as a noobie trying to hybrid SS with WODs, and messing with the SS program. As a result I hurt my shoulders doing Lynne 2 days after a tampered with SS workout. I lost ground on dips, and am still working my way back through recovery. I had to stop all upper body work for a few days just to see how much damage I did. Just do the easy pullups and dips as a warmup. SS may have its own warmup that isn't the regular cf one. I'm benched from bench press for a while now, and am glad to be back on pushups for just WOD's. Follow the sage advice. You have experienced people on this site and this thread. I like the idea of only working heavy pullups and dips once a week. You'll really see the progress there.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Jay Lorenzen

Profile:

The second edition of Starting Strength incorporates chins and back extensions on the "B" days. Here's a sample program from the book:

A: Squat, Press, deadlifts/power cleans (alternate)
B: Squat, Bench Press, Back Extensions, Chin ups