CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Re: Drugs, Alcohol, And You.

Everything can be therapeutic or harmful. "Marijuana unmasks schizophrenia" May be true, but it also relieves the nausea associated with chemotherapy. I pretty much live by the full version of the golden rule. Do onto others as you'd have them do onto you AND don't do onto others as you'd have them not do onto you. Drug use is a personal preference but it gives you no right to impede upon my ability to live life and succeed or not succeed as I see fit. If you want to use drugs to assist you in life, who am I to stop you. Do not let it affect me negatively in any way i.e. you're my parent and I need your support to grow up or I'm walking across the street don't drive over me. And if I happen to choose to use drugs, supplements, or candy I will not impede your ability to live life. I approach my own use or lack thereof on a chance by chance basis. I partied more in college, never hurt anyone, never had responsibilities other than doing well on tests. Now that I've graduated undergrad I have a few more responsibilities and have backed way off of partying, mainly because I have things to do during the day. Do I enjoy a delicious Guinness with a meal? Sure. A buddy's birthday am I not gonna buy a few rounds of shots?? Hell no. Am I gettin hammered 9 nights a week and sleepin through morning classes, nope. Am I drivin home after those nights? Nope. To each his own.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Fun Drugs = Not any more. Did them in high school trying to escape, found booze was cheaper, had better quality control, and was easier/less risky to get. Military will prosecute and boot your *** so now none at all and no wish to.

Enhancement Drugs = Too scary and I am a natural genetic when I stay off my butt and don't really need them.

Booze = Some weeks I have none, some weeks I drink a couple every day. During the spring me and the boys tend to get smashed once a month.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
Eric Cohen

Profile:

On the topic of controlled substance, I prefer not to be involved with abusal of them. Many who were close to me in recent years (in high school) I'd rather no longer associate with as their personalities changed and they're no longer themselves. It appears to me, that when people do drugs, they usually just become the drug. It's much more comforting to be around people who are themselves and not a substance. This is me being hippocritical somewhat though, as I partied quite a bit with them; to the point where it was very detrimental and I was considered by many to be the most destructive and least likely to get anywhere. Now, I've changed drastically and have taken up responsibility for my life. Where as they're just stuck in the same loop and getting worse and worse, at least for now.

Most likely if I put stuff carelessly into my body, I would be far from capable of performing anything crossfit related. This is a dreadful idea, and I refuse to let anything like that occur. Besides, the only 'high' I need is the endorphins after a good workout, or just maintaining a healthy 'easy going' lifestyle.

Last edited by Eric Cohen : 09-28-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: a little more insight

Old 09-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #14
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Duvall View Post
Everything can be therapeutic or harmful. "Marijuana unmasks schizophrenia" May be true, but it also relieves the nausea associated with chemotherapy. I pretty much live by the full version of the golden rule. Do onto others as you'd have them do onto you AND don't do onto others as you'd have them not do onto you. Drug use is a personal preference but it gives you no right to impede upon my ability to live life and succeed or not succeed as I see fit. If you want to use drugs to assist you in life, who am I to stop you. Do not let it affect me negatively in any way i.e. you're my parent and I need your support to grow up or I'm walking across the street don't drive over me. And if I happen to choose to use drugs, supplements, or candy I will not impede your ability to live life. I approach my own use or lack thereof on a chance by chance basis. I partied more in college, never hurt anyone, never had responsibilities other than doing well on tests. Now that I've graduated undergrad I have a few more responsibilities and have backed way off of partying, mainly because I have things to do during the day. Do I enjoy a delicious Guinness with a meal? Sure. A buddy's birthday am I not gonna buy a few rounds of shots?? Hell no. Am I gettin hammered 9 nights a week and sleepin through morning classes, nope. Am I drivin home after those nights? Nope. To each his own.
So you provided money to a drug dealer that helped him buy more product to sell to 12 year olds. You're right buddy you didn't hurt anybody.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 09-29-2007 at 03:29 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 AM   #15
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Hey Jason, you interested in intelligent, multi-perspective discussion continuing to be possible here?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #16
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Isom View Post
Drugs and supplements are different.

Fish oils are psitive compared to alchohol which has negative affects.

Something such as aspirin or tylenol is for medical uses, it is beneficial to the point that it is not abused/over used.
That's the problem, even hardcore street drugs have medical uses. So I think Brandon is correct in saying you have to look at things on a case by case basis AND how it is used (medical, recreational, abuse, etc).

Old 09-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
Corey Duvall

Profile:

A guy grows it in his backyard. He sells to no one but uses it for his own purposes. No 12 year old involved what-so-ever. And he also has the backyard locked up and secured so no pesky 12-year-olds can break in and steal it either. The seeds he used to grow it were not bought from a shady drug dealer at the local high school. He bought them in Amsterdam, Holland, where it is completely legal.

Come on man, there are plenty of sides to any story. No one got hurt here...

Last edited by Corey Duvall : 09-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #18
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Hey Jason, you interested in intelligent, multi-perspective discussion continuing to be possible here?
I gave my perspective.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #19
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

What I think needs to happen with the illegal drugs that have the potential to help people is that the useful compound that gives the benefit needs to be extracted somehow so that the patient can recieve the benefit without getting the bad side effect, like schizophrenia.

"A guy grows it in his backyard. He sells to no one but uses it for his own purposes. No 12 year old involved what-so-ever. And he also has the backyard locked up and secured so no pesky 12-year-olds can break in and steal it either. The seeds he used to grow it were not bought from a shady drug dealer at the local high school. He bought them in Amsterdam, Holland, where it is completely legal.

Come on man, there are plenty of sides to any story. No one got hurt here..."

About your legal bought seeds. It's illegal to grow marijuana plants in the USA whether the seeds were bought here or not. The fact that it's illegal should be enough of a reason not to do it in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #20
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
What I think needs to happen with the illegal drugs that have the potential to help people is that the useful compound that gives the benefit needs to be extracted somehow so that the patient can recieve the benefit without getting the bad side effect, like schizophrenia.

"A guy grows it in his backyard. He sells to no one but uses it for his own purposes. No 12 year old involved what-so-ever. And he also has the backyard locked up and secured so no pesky 12-year-olds can break in and steal it either. The seeds he used to grow it were not bought from a shady drug dealer at the local high school. He bought them in Amsterdam, Holland, where it is completely legal.

Come on man, there are plenty of sides to any story. No one got hurt here..."

About your legal bought seeds. It's illegal to grow marijuana plants in the USA whether the seeds were bought here or not. The fact that it's illegal should be enough of a reason not to do it in my opinion.
You have to understand people can rationalize their way out of legality every second of the day. (No this doesn't make it legal in the eyes of the judicial branch of government, it makes it legal in their head.)

OH CRAP THERE IS MY EXIT! <Double-lane change> Made it!

(Looks both ways) <Runs across middle of street> Whew that saved me 1/2 a block!

Just two silly examples that happen everyday, and people rarely get prosecuted. Unfortunately in our country be it cars, walking, or drugs - normal citizens for the most part don't care what others are doing if it doesn't affect their lives. They do nothing about it and only when their sphere of influence gets pushed around do they all of the sudden become one of the righteous.

We don't know the whole story about his buddy (pun intended). While going through a very ugly legal battle right now, getting my first degree in criminology, and having sat my butt in jail as a kid (as an object lesson from my father) before for stupid things kids do, I very much have an appreciation for "innocent until proven guilty". Let's not be so quick to hang someone just on what someone posted on a message board.

Closed Thread