CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Rich Isom

Profile:
Drugs, Alcohol, And You.

I was pondering how other crossfitters think about D&A

I've been on my sports teams, had many gym memberships but at all those times I feel like i've been surrounded by people who either abuse these substances, including steriods. I myself am straight edge but the few CF's that i know share similair ideas about fittness either cut out or very moderatly use any of these substances and try living a more healthy and substance free lifestyle.

I was hopeing if people would share their opinions or philosophy's to this and perhaps an idea of how CF is centered around just living a healthy and perhaps drug free lifestyle in general.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Drugs, Alcohol, And You.

Are you talking about performance-enhancing drugs or recreational ones?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Rich Isom

Profile:

All drugs.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Okay, logically speaking if you're going to address "all drugs," it's not going to be a directly physiological argument -- all substances are different, from wine to oxycodone. In other words, you would have to apply the same treatment to a hypothetical drug that seemed clinically to have no effects whatsoever. So, if you condemn any drugs, it seems like it would fall under one of these reasons:

1. You feel morally, religiously, or culturally opposed to drug intake for whatever reason (involving yourself or others).

2. You feel that it is a "safer bet" healthwise to avoid artificial substances that may have negative effects which are not known or not quantifiable, or at least, may modify the body's activity in a way that is not accounted for in the physiological process.

If you don't take one of the above positions, I think you have to use an individual appraisal process to judge what's good in your own case, what's bad, and what's not worth worrying about.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Rich Isom

Profile:

Drugs to everyone is different, I'm asking for your opinions, not trying to state my own.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Well, the case-by-case option is my choice, and I think that's true for many here, though it may matter where you draw the line on "drugs" in some cases. Fish oil? Aspirin? Protein powder? What's the distinction, whether it's natural? How close to "natural" -- is aspirin more natural than tylenol? What if it has a natural source, but the version you're consuming was produced artificially? Alcohol is produced by a natural process. So are many poisons.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Rich Isom

Profile:

Drugs and supplements are different.

Fish oils are psitive compared to alchohol which has negative affects.

Something such as aspirin or tylenol is for medical uses, it is beneficial to the point that it is not abused/over used.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Everything (everything is a poison, it just depends on the quantity. I'm with Brandon. This is an incredibly subjective question. Oxy can also be used for medical purposes. Cocaine was once used for medical purposes. People take Ritalin to focus, but also for the high or to get better grades on tests. Creatine has noticable muscle-enhancement effects.

I personally believe most supplementation to be OK, provided the person knows what they're taking in and what it does, and have researched the side-effects.

Alcohol intake is up to one's personal preference. Obviously, fitness-wise less is probably better, unless you're drinking high-tannin red wine.

Drugs (illegal use of drugs, as defined in the US) is more of a gray area depending on the drug. If you're hopped up on oxy or straight heroin that's not going to do much for you in the long run. Same for cocaine or crack. Cigarette smoking is more innocuous but similarily damaging. Marijuana is probably safest, though you don't want to be doing it all the time (if only for the food cravings) and smoking it ain't good for your lungs. All this is my take, anyway.

Is that what you were looking for?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Doing illegal drugs is stupid. Marijuana is now scientifically proven to unmask schizophrenia.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
Richard Furr

Profile:

I agree with Emily and Brandon. There is no difference between all substances you put in your body and "drugs", except for the label.

You have to determine the ecology of each substance you put in your body. It might help you in someways, but it might hurt you in others. Only you can determine if you're willing to accept the side effects for a certain benefit to you. I personally would never choose to use steroids. In my view they are for people with lack of willpower. That's just my view.

I have been a severe alcoholic and addicted to cigarettes(5 packs a day) and quit both about 2 years ago. I still think compared to both alcohol and cigarettes, sugar/grains/junkfood are more addictive and destructive to the body. Overall it causes more death and suffering(health problems) worldwide than any other "drug."

Closed Thread