CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Real fights videos (discuss)

The whole post may not be wfs. I'll add more later.

Clerk vs. Robber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZk6NTfHbc

boxer vs. 4 guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDlzL7zrNU

Police officer fights a dude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGMgCk7Y5Ok

Cop fights 2 guys (shows why you don't want to grapple on the street when an unknown amount of ppl are involved)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGlH6jmuCI

72 year old man fights off pickpocket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafN9...elated&search=

Notice the length of the fights, the weapons, and the environment. People with training do better.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: Real fights videos (discuss)

Notice the lack of a mat and an octagon. Professional MMA is so far from a street fight it's incredible. UFC is not a street fight.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #3
Scott Borre

Profile:

The multi person fights were interesting. The fighters each positioned themselves and fought to only have one threat at a time. The boxer kept retreating while throwing fast/hard/accurate punches. I love when the guy tried to kick him.

The cop used one as a shield, or knocked one into the other. He did a very good job.

The first cop video though annoyed the hell out of me... until the end. What took so long for people to come help? If I saw a cop fighting a guy like that I'd run over and headlock the guy or drop him or something. God damn. The cop also could have done a better job. It seemed he kept looking for something he wanted to be there, instead of going with what was given to him. I didn't listen to audio though as I didn't have my speakers set up when watching it. Maybe he explained all this.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
Professional MMA is so far from a street fight it's incredible.
I think that's a very short-sighted view. How could a combat sport such as MIXED MARTIAL ARTS be "...far from a street fight..."???!!

Consider this:

1) Would you say that being a boxer would be beneficial to one in a street fight? You know, knowing how to punch, move, and dodge well?

2) Would you say that being a kickboxer/ Muay Thai would be beneficial to one in a street fight? You know, knowing how to kick and punch, throw elbows and kness, and move well?

2) Would you say that being a grappler/wrestler would be beneficial to one in a one-on-one street confrontation? You know, knowing how to fight on the ground, improve position, defend well, and submit your opponent?

Now add ALL of these skills together and how could mixed martial arts NOT translate well into a street fight??

Not to mention the HUGE stamina element that goes into a street fight. Adrenaline runs high and will suck the life out of one in no time, leaving one extremely vulnerable. Fighters are trained & conditioned. They are trained in combat (even if not in a street situation) and well prepared to engage.

Whether on mats, an octagon, in a bar, or on the streets, fighting is fighting. If you practice fighting (martial arts) you're learning how to fight. Practice makes progress, right?

Notice how in your second link the guy comes out on the top for knowing how to punch, despite being outnumbered. The first link is not a fight. The third link illustrates how the lack of skills can make your situation difficult in a fight, as demonstrated by the cop. There is no grappling in the forth link, only wrestling.

Now check out this guy handling his business w/ skills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJS8IbFMaI (violence; not W/F safe)
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Quote:
Looks good, needs practice.

Quote:
Love this one

Quote:
Police officer fights a dude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGMgCk7Y5Ok
Camera man all that walked by should be slapped, then ****ed on.

Quote:
Cop fights 2 guys (shows why you don't want to grapple on the street when an unknown amount of ppl are involved)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGlH6jmuCI
Once the shovel was in hand, he should have gone for the pistol and used it.

Quote:
72 year old man fights off pickpocket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafN9...elated&search=
Can't get to this one.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post

1) Would you say that being a boxer would be beneficial to one in a street fight? You know, knowing how to punch, move, and dodge well?

2) Would you say that being a kickboxer/ Muay Thai would be beneficial to one in a street fight? You know, knowing how to kick and punch, throw elbows and kness, and move well?

2) Would you say that being a grappler/wrestler would be beneficial to one in a one-on-one street confrontation? You know, knowing how to fight on the ground, improve position, defend well, and submit your opponent?

Now add ALL of these skills together and how could mixed martial arts NOT translate well into a street fight??
Sure they translate, but that's not what he's saying. he's saying MMA isn't like a real fight, and it's not.

You can't smash a guy in the face with your elbow in MMA, and he can't pull out a knife and try to cut your throat.

Is it training for fighting? Yes

Is it probably one of the BEST ways to learn to fight? Undoubtedly. Getting up close and personal with an apponent is as close as it gets!

Is it a real fight? Of course not, and the stresses you experince in a real fight are not there. That unknown factor and the sudden realization that if you lose, the guy might not stop at you being down and kill you, is not there.

Last edited by Brent Lucas : 09-26-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Grappling is not just on the ground. There are any number of points where you can use pain to generate a movement that allows an joint immobilization. Tony B. uses this basic principle with his splayed hand. It's not precisely pain, but there's something kinesthetic about pressure on the side of your neck. It's both tactile, and that is just a good place to apply pressure.

The guy that really needed that was the first cop. Tactically, your goal is to retain your balance, take his, and use that movement--which he can't control--to "lasso" him. This is especially important where smaller guys are taking on bigger guys, like appeared to be the case there. If you get a wrist, an elbow, or a shoulder, he's done if you know what you're doing. Done means you can cuff him in relative safety. The break or dislocate, if it happens, is his fault and likely defensible in court. Stuff that really hurts them is likely illegal, so irrelevant.

The second cop mishandled that situation completely before the fight. He was pointing at the suspects, he was yelling back, he was moving his hands around, and he was ignoring the obvious signs the guy in the black wanted to fight. He was feeding them. It almost looked like the cop wanted the fight. I don't know if there was audio, but my guess is that if he had waited them out, let them calm down, extended the stop, let the anger peter out, he would not have had a fight on his hands. That would have been the best way to win that fight.

Other two, not much to say. Asymetrical violence of action works. Hit first, hit hard, keep hitting.

Didn't watch the boxer one. YouTube wants me to sign up and I get plenty of junk mail as it is.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

9 years as a bouncer, 4 years serving folks papers, 3 years as a bodyguard, 5 years 11 months forward deployed, 15 years as a Marine. I have been in some altercations, some civil, some military. Been training since I was 5. In my opinion, the biggest advantages for a trained fighter are:

Controlling panic
Situational awareness
agressiveness (willingness to harm another human being) I stop fighting when they stop moving.
knowing that getting hit is survivable
Most of all, confidence

My personal philosophy of survival mode combat is:
Inflict maximum damage in minimum time.

I have found myself going back to the same basic, funtional, gross motor skills time after time.

Grabs
Knees
Shoves
Slams
Elbows
Headbuts
Biting (I still think I swallowed part of some guys ear)
and most of all, Gouging and fish hooking

I almost never punch, and only kick after I get them down as a finisher and to bleed oof adrenaline.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Grappling is not just on the ground.
I never said so and never would have. My point remains, there is no grappling in that fight.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Celio Silva

Profile:

[quote=Brent Lucas;197960]Sure they translate, but that's not what he's saying. he's saying MMA isn't like a real fight, and it's not.
QUOTE]

What he said was: "Professional MMA is so far from a street fight...", and it's not. Is it the same thing? NO! Is it far from it? NO!