CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
The current issue of Sports Illsutrated has a small article catching up with Brian Oldfield. This guy may have been one of the greatest Big Men of all time- High Jump 7 Feet, Run the 100 in 9.5, and throw the shot put 75 feet. The combination of strength, speed, is quite staggering. I know Dan John knows Brian well. Shame that his health appears so bad. Frightening, that we can allow such a gifted athlete fall out of memory.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Dan John

Profile:

Always take Brian's stats with a grain of salt. I have a list of "what I learned from Brian" in my first or second edition of Get Up.

You should see the way Brian treats my daughters...he will go from dropping f-bombs to a sweet little grandpa when Kelly and Lindsay drop by. It is funny to watch.

"You lousy f---, you s---, you're like a pink suited fruity...
Welllll, hello, sweetie! Have you been picking flowers?"

Boom. That fast.
I love the guy. We get along rather well. He sees through me, I see through him.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:04 AM   #3
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
On the general athletic ability of Big Men who have trained with the O lifts or were weightlifters, do you have any good anectdotes.For instance, I heard that Mark Phillips could 'slam dunk' and do full splits. The same with Shane Hamann and Cheryl Haworth.

I grew up in the Panama Canl Zone. It had a large West Indian population (Barbados and Jamaica. At that time there was a guy named Henry Phillips whose Mom worked for my Dad. He was the Pan America SH champion I believe at that time. Bob Hoffman would mention him from time-to-time as a lifeter with great potential. I remeber seeing all 300 lbs of him in Speedos doing "No,No,No" squats, behind on the floor, for reps like it was a toy. He invited me to train with him, which I regret, but as a Gringo I would have been mince meat in that part of Panama City.