CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
A close friend of mine has been trying to get pregnant for a year now. She (late 30s)and her hubby have done all the standard tests and there is nothing that seems to be inhibiting this normal response. She started a few months ago with an acupuncturist who advised her to stop all exercise which "weakens" her chi. Yet still no pregnancy.

She used to be very active--marathon runner and vinyasa yoga. I was under the impression that exercise regulates hormones helping acheive fertility.

Does anyone have any scientific evidence that I can share with her. She is extremely frustrated that she isnt preg yet and misses the endorphin high from exercise.

Thanks all!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Sarena,

I don't have an scientific data for you, but if your friend has tried all the usual tests, it may be time to investigate some of the non-mainstream usual.

Check with the area La Leche League. They typically have some decent references on fertility signs (temperature charting, and fluid viscosities, etc.,.).

Also a good midwife (preferrably someone located by referral) may have some useful ideas for them.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Acupuncturist, right... "chi"... our mystical lifeforce energy *rolls eyes*, that's definitely the problem. I'm sure your friend isn't buying into all this mysticism junk that's gripped America lately, so I'll make another suggestion.

Check out a good fertility monitor, there's one for natural family planning (without birth control) that monitors her waking temperature down to the hundredth of a degree, it's called LadyComp, and there's another that's geared towards fertility, called BabyComp. I believe they work the same way, but who knows. Have her check out the BabyComp at www.ladycomp.com
Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Very low bodyfat frequently messes with hormonal production. Similarly, very high stress levels, as *can* be caused by exercise in excess of recovery capability (excess cortisol?) can surpress ovulation.

That's just western medicine's way of saying her "chi is depleted".

Sounds like marathon training could be part of the issue?

I don't know if that's the cause, but if her bodyfat % has been down in the low teens or below, her cycle might be a bit out of sync.

I think she should at least consider moving toward a "healthy, not excessive" exercise profile, and to eat as well as possible.

And, yes, fertility does decline in our late 30's, even when healthy overall. Alas, even with CrossFit, not every aspect of youth can be retained.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Not that it isn't cool, but my wife has found (probably not work/family safe due to subject matter of fertility) http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ to provide the same kind of information as the ladycomp for ~$40 for a lifetime membership, compared to the ladycomp pricing of ~$600-$1000 depend on the model.

(Message edited by eric_kerr on July 23, 2007)
Old 07-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Getting pregnant is not real easy for some even when there is nothing wrong. It took my wife and I a year plus to have the 2nd child. Call it bad timing. Your friend might want to cast an eye in the husband's direction. Its not always something wrong with the woman when she isn't gettng pregnant. The guy might have an issue.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Joshua Marcum

Profile:
Dont know where you're at by my mother in law is a heck of a midwife doula thing. I can ask her for references for where you are at. She found the Dr. that my wife is using and he is great.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
First of all, thanks for all your help, offers and suggestions. Both she and hubby had all the conventional tests. She no longer (and hasnt for a while)runs or train for marathons.

They sought out the acupuncture after exhausting all the medical options. And now seem to be hitting a block there as well> she emailed me today that this month was not successful either!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Eric, the only difference between Fertility Friend (which is probably a great resource) is it doesn't supply the equipment that:
1) Extremely accurately measures temperature (when the difference is in the tenths or hundredths of degrees, accuracy counts)
2) Automatically calculates a "go/no go" recommendation on the spot, based on previous months and knowledge of the lady's cycle and temperature cycle. Heck, I think it can even tell the difference between her getting sick and raising temperature, and her ovulating.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #10
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Just pointing out a less costly and proven (based on my wife's experience) alternative, Matt. Oh yeah, besides Fertility Friend you would need a ~$15 basal thermometer. Total = ~$55.