CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
I've seen the forum post on making your own rings. But i have a couple of questions before i go a head.

I discussed it with my Dad, saying i would use PVC piping, but he said it wouldn't be strong enough and would eventually snap and break = dangerous! So he said we should make them out of a metal rod, molded into a circle :uhoh:

I'm pretty sure you guys would have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm not too fond of the 'metal rings' idea. However some possitive feedback on PVC would be good, then i can tell my Dad its alright! :wink:

Also, i was wanting to know the diameter of the rings, and how long should i make the straps on average? I guess it depense on where i'm hanging them from, but whats a good recomendation? and would you recommend rope through the hoop, or a heavy duty wire? or it doesn't matter?

Thanks! :proud:
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
Andrew Brown

Profile:
First and foremost- recommend Tyler's Power Rings. They're the hizzeat. Ask for them for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus.

Second- most everybody uses PVC for their homemade gear. Lotsa rings out there made out of it. If the strap is through the pipe and the pipe breaks, you wind up holding onto the strap anyway.

Metal works- roughly an inch diameter. Not generally the homemade choice, though. But if your dad wants you to have metal rings, tell him to get you some Power Rings.

Strap- cargo tiedown straps are great. You can adjust the length and they're rated for pretty high tension. Otherwise, it depends on where you're hanging them. If you're going the homemade route and are concerned about safety, you may want to keep them at dip-appropriate height (so hanging item height minus 3-4 feet.) Still allows you to do dips, support hold, L-sit on rings,and other fun stuff.

Again- Power Rings.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
Power rings? :uhoh:

And, thanks! :happy:
Old 11-26-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:
Schedule 40 PVC 3/4 inch (2 cm?).
An 8 inch (20 cm) diameter ring means 25-inch (63.5 cm) length of pipe will take everything you can give it and more, it's quite tough and will last at least until Santa brings you the real thing.

Heat it for 5 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and I suggest leather gloves to handle & wrap the soft tube around whatever you've got for a mandrel carefully pinching/shaping the tube to keep it from flatenning too much. I also suggest using a quench pool of cool water to harden the ring quickly once you've attained the desired shape. Duct tape around the open ends of the tube during heating will minimize the flaring effect on the openings. Thread a rope or a lashing strap (mine are 12 feet/ 3.5 meters) through each curved tube ring and voila! Start dipping, the real work can then begin.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:33 AM   #5
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Check out the link to the Power Rings on the main page.

I have had mine for about 5 months two of which they lived in the box for seeing i busted my shoulder, in an unrelated event, so don't let your dad stress. But once i actually got them up one of the best rehab tool i had. Not to mention the most fun.

They take about a week or so from the US, If you get them get the DVD as well, its a real help.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hmm, that's wierd, i was refering to 'power rings' when i said i wanted to make some rings ... now i'm wondering what you thought i ment by saying just 'rings' ??

I thought power rings where made from solid plastic. Not metal. Just my 'thought' though, seeing as i have never seen them in real life before. The reason i'm not purchasing any is because i'm really only wanting to build up with basic exercises/technique/strength to start with, they are expensive and i don't think i want to get them just yet. I'll make some cheapies first :happy:

Another question.. are the rings fairly light? or kinda heavy (for what they are), if i use metal would they be too heavy? Also the grip stuff on the rings, would the strapping for tennis racket handles be sufficient?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
James Falkner

Profile:
Nikki,

I made a pair of PVC rings this summer following the "PVC-in-the-oven" recipe. If you do this, make sure you fill the PVC with sand before putting in oven - this keeps the pipe's shape when you bend it after heating it. here's a pic and here's a closeup .

Notice how I passed a chain through the PVC, then I attached the tie-down straps (blue) to the chain. That way, it doesn't matter if the PVC cracks or breaks. I'm still holding the chain which is rated at over 2000 lbs.

The tie-downs are rated at 1500 lbs. They are the 6' long variety. I originally got the 15' variety but it was too long, however if I had something really tall to hook it to I probably would have kept the 15' length tie-down straps. Don't get the straps that have a metal ratchet - the ratchet will poke and rub against your upper arm and hurt like a SOB and the ratcheting mechanism is awkward to use when there's no tension on the straps (i.e. when you're not hanging on them!).

Tell your dad not to worry, PVC (1" diameter) has a very small chance of failing - I am over 200 lbs. and do lots of rolls and ring dips and such and have had no problems. They are very solid and with the chain I feel safe. Of course, make sure you are hanging from something solid (tree branch, playground swingset, etc). Don't hook them up to your garage door guide or into drywall hooks :-)

I wrapped mine in black "athletic tape" - haven't had any grip issues either. }

(Message edited by schtool on November 27, 2005)
Old 11-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #8
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Nikki,

if you really want to go the "cheapie" route (don't - get the Power Rings!), just take a look at what Matt G. uses - http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/10397.html - super-easy to make and really enough for "build up with basic exercises/technique/strength". No worrying about how-tos - just go ahead.

And then, after some weeks, you will buy the Power Rings. Don't waste too much time deliberating - you need rings.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 11-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I made rings by taking 5/8" plywood, gluing them together to make...10/8" plywood, and then using a skilsaw to cut out the rings. I used a router to round the edges, but a burly wood file would work too. A little sanding to remove potential splinters and you're done.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks for the info, its awesome.

Mike, those rings sound hot!

Can anyone tell me what diameter i should make the rings??