CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-14-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
David Wise

Profile:

Hey guys. I first turned up here in June, but I've been out for some time. I've been mainly dropping in and out of jobs, and I got back into college doing art & design. The usual pathetic excuses. I kind of got obsessed with trying to improve my bench numbers, but I wasn't very succesful. I've started the beginner program, but with the official warmup with bits added (I do L-sits, tuck planches and handstand work instead of the pushups and situps.) Hey again everyone, I don't know why I stopped doing it.
On a sadder note, I was really sorry to read about the crossfitters who died in action in Iraq, especially after seeing all those photos of soldiers tending little patches of grass and things. It really, really sucks. I'm at a loss for words, for once.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
Well, noone else has yet, so welcome back. One of the great benes of Xfit is the relative little time required. And, as I tell my daughter, do the whole WOD. all the REPs, scale down speed and weight if need be. All the numbers eventually go up. Buy some of your own equipment and workout at home, in the garage, driveway etc. Saves scads of time not having to travel to and from a gym and compete for equipment. Rock on .
Old 10-16-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
David Wise

Profile:

Cheers. Would you say doing the whole WOD with smaller loads and substitutions for the stuff I can't do is a better bet than the beginner's program?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Gary Jackson

Profile:
Absolutely David. The WOD provides far more variability, which leads to faster improvements and generally more fun. Crank back the weight and WOD! Oh, and welcome back.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Go for it David. From what your saying, your probably ready for the scaled back wod (most of us do them scaled back in some form or another).

Nice to have you back.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
Karl Steadman

Profile:
And the boy is back!

Good to see you again David mate. As the others have already said, scale it back buddy! Took me about 6 months to be able to handle a "round of 3" as prescribed so scale it back. An idea Larry L. had was to do a half week ie. half rounds/reps/etc. This is the approach i give to my friends trying it out. It is easier to stick to and to recover from. My g/f did this for 2 months and slowly scaled it up and is doing well now. It's all about developing that "exercise habit" my friend!!!

Once again, good to see you again, if you got any questions or need a training buddy, Wales is a little far but we could sort sumething out on a monthly basis if you want? Willing to travel and i'll help out as best i can...

Old 10-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
David Wise

Profile:

Cool. I'll try and bring myself up to a more acceptable standard of fitness before I do any meet-ups and stuff, but yeah, it'd be good. Scaling back weights stuff is OK- I just reduce the weight, but bodyweight stuff is a bit more difficult. How do I handle Angie, for instance?
Sorry, going to be a while inbetween posting. You'd think art school would be an easy ride wouldn't you? But quite apart from all the extra work you're expected to do on top of college hours, there is the incredible pressure of attmepting to date every arty female within a 40 mile radius.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #8
Karl Steadman

Profile:
There was a thread a while back on strategies for angie and the like. Some adopted just stick at it til it's done and others rotated it Cindy style (5 pull ups 10 pressups 15 squats) amongst other variations.....whatever works for you mate, switch it up and just do the do...

No worries about meeting up, drop me aline when you feel like rocking some stuff..........arty females??? Make sure they've had a wash/shave and stopped listening to the Levellers before you jump their bones buddy! :proud:
Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #9
David Wise

Profile:

Cindy Style sounds good.
Not to worry- they're mostly into drum & bass :-)