CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
James DeBella

Profile:
back to back legs?

Yesterday's WOD was 333333-back squats. As always, my legs are cooked. Today's WOD is thruster/pullups 21,15,9. Are the WOD's chosen at random or are they strategic selections? I have tons of faith in crossfit methods, but I'm a little stumped by the recommendation to do 2 leg intensive workouts back to back.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: back to back legs?

You'll be fine... my Oly coach has me doing 5 workouts/week and they all involve squats.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Growing up when bodybuilding was the way to workout, before I first started doing CF stuff, I was thinking the same way you were. 2 leg days in a row plus we missed hitting calves and how do these workouts address my abs? Bodybuilding and older exercise programs often have a segmented view about training--good in that in looks at training all parts, but potentially bad in that it does not account for how those parts work together--which might have more functional carryover. Using your abs to stabilize you for overhead lifting is most likely more important than being able to do a bunch of crunches.

CF also takes a view of trying to prepare you for the unknown. If you always give your legs 72 hours of rest before training them again, you might not be as ready to handle a labor intensive job that requires lifting with the legs everyday.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
CF also takes a view of trying to prepare you for the unknown. If you always give your legs 72 hours of rest before training them again, you might not be as ready to handle a labor intensive job that requires lifting with the legs everyday.
Any studies to back that up? How about such people that manage to do such a job and don't do CF or even strength training?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Any studies to back that up? How about such people that manage to do such a job and don't do CF or even strength training?
You could make the reverse argument, they have back to back "leg" days every friggin day and don't cry about it.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
No studies to back it up, I was attempting to explain the different approaches to training and why CF often does things different compared to other training models. So this might be part of CF dogma needing actual support.

I always wondered if people who do labor jobs every day have built up a GPP base. Something interesting to study. We've all heard stories about super strong farmers, foreman etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

95 pound thrusters are not heavy enough to count as a second leg day in a row.

So much grumbling about this. Come on people suck it up and get some!

I'm due for a short met-con to day after PRing back squats @ 295x5x3 and a finishing set of 185x20 yesterday. Guess I'll do Fran today. Always try to practice what I preach.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James DeBella View Post
Yesterday's WOD was 333333-back squats. As always, my legs are cooked. Today's WOD is thruster/pullups 21,15,9. Are the WOD's chosen at random or are they strategic selections? I have tons of faith in crossfit methods, but I'm a little stumped by the recommendation to do 2 leg intensive workouts back to back.

Thanks!
Yes, it's random. But that doesn't mean you can't use your legs two days in a row. Or six days in a row.
One of the marks of a good athlete is that he/she is able to handle a heavy workload, and that includes using the same muscles day-in day-out.

When should you not work the same muscle group two days in a row?
1) when your muscles are so sore they swell slightly
2) when you notice that you are not making any progress or are regressing

The best runners in the world run almost every day, same with the best sprinters, best swimmers, and most athletes in general. When it comes to lifting weights, people somehow think it's somehow different. It's not. The body will adapt to whatever stress you consistently subject it to, as long as other factors are also in place (such as nutrition, and sleep).
Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Amy Larson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
No studies to back it up, I was attempting to explain the different approaches to training and why CF often does things different compared to other training models. So this might be part of CF dogma needing actual support.
I thought crossfit pulled from the hopper. It's different because there is no plan.
Preparation for the unknown and unknowable. ANYWAY, back to back leg days probably won't kill you, but if you see back to back GHD sit-ups you might give pause, at least until you are at the elite level.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
James DeBella

Profile:

[quote=Brendan McNamar;948339]95 pound thrusters are not heavy enough to count as a second leg day in a row.

True. Wasn't a big deal. Thanks!