CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Crossfit WOD vs Affiliate WOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
I would say do what you look like. I personally would choose the .com WODs any day over a Level 1 CrossFit cert affiliate owner. And the reason is because that as far as I know Coach and Lauren are programming the WOD. Sorry but a Level 1 cert coach is usually very bad at programming WODs they tend to just pick things that will destroy you rather than make you more fit. It took Coach years to learn how not to kill someone.
If the Level 1 cert is the person's *only* qualification, then I agree. But there are coaches who had years of programming experience before Crossfit ever came along. It's the person, not the piece of paper.

Katherine
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

I totally agree with Katherine. What follows is my impressions of affiliate workouts, and I'd be very happy to be disabused of any of my beliefs if they are indeed faulty.

I do my CF-ing at my local gym. There are a few folks there who do CF or a CF-style workout, so there is a bit of camaraderie. I've sometimes thought about trying out an affiliate, but whenever I look at most of the affiliate websites (not just locally, but nationally as well), I'm never crazy about the WODs they post.

Understandably, I think many of the affiliates feel as though they need to try and add some value by "customizing" the WODs - doing something that's different than what is on the main page. After all, why go to an affiliate when you can just get the main page WOD for free? (My answer would be having access to the proper equipment - rings, C2 rowers, ropes, etc. - would be a sufficient incentive for a lot of people. but I digress...)

The folks who do the main page programming are all highly experienced and skilled at what they do. For an affiliate to do different things should require the same experience, or at least a thoughtful and principled creativity to truly add value. Otherwise, it just seems like doing something different for its own sake.

And just because someone's gone to a Level I cert and paid an affiliate fee, that doesn't guarantee they have anything close to the requisite set of skills and knowledge to add any value to the main page WOD.

If your affiliate is always "upper body on Monday, lower body on Wednesdays" etc., that strikes me as Globo Gym -type mentality, but using CF exercises. Unless I'm mistaken, one of the goals of CF is randomization.

Again, someone please tell me if I'm wrong. I like the idea of going to a box, but after 4 years of CF-ing on my own, and a lifetime of fitness experience, I have great faith in my own instincts.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
I would say do what you look like. I personally would choose the .com WODs any day over a Level 1 CrossFit cert affiliate owner. And the reason is because that as far as I know Coach and Lauren are programming the WOD. Sorry but a Level 1 cert coach is usually very bad at programming WODs they tend to just pick things that will destroy you rather than make you more fit. It took Coach years to learn how not to kill someone.
Except my coaches are level 1, 2, CFFB, NSCA, and USAW level 1 certified
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

" that as far as I know Coach and Lauren are programming the WOD."

That goes against what I've heard. I thought Tony, Castro and someone else were doing the programming for main page.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

This is what I heard last from Pat Sherwood in March. I think the 3rd party may be Nicole.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Giovanni Fernandez

Profile:

Thanks everyone. It's nice to have this community. I think I'm going to stick to the .com workouts for at least a few months and reevaluate later.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Ross Training. Great info. Book based. Can be completed in the comfort of your own home, but its not easy or P90X.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
" that as far as I know Coach and Lauren are programming the WOD."

That goes against what I've heard. I thought Tony, Castro and someone else were doing the programming for main page.
Mostly Tony and Coach, with a small input from Nicole. Dave on occasion.

--bingo
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

OOoooo lets play guess who is programming what WODs. My vote is Dave is doing the One handed handstand walk for 9000m type WODs. I think he likes to test just how far some CrossFitters can push it, which has its good/bads just like any program does.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Nichols View Post
Except my coaches are level 1, 2, CFFB, NSCA, and USAW level 1 certified
And I am not knocking your coaches, but I am sure Nicole and probably even Dave are level 3 as well but I would not go to either for programming. I would go to someone like Pat Sherwood, Jeff Martin, Dan John, Andy Stumpf and OPT. And a few of the Certs you listed have some skill and question testing but not PROGRAMMING testing. I have my USAW 1 and my CF Level 1, my CF Barbell cert and CF OLY cert and RKC. I however do not consider myself good enough to create programming for anyone. I thinking coaching CrossFit and its movements are completely seperate than programming for CrossFit or any sport for that matter.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 08-05-2010 at 10:30 AM.