CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:
Re: Pain in right foot on the inside below ankle

If the picture of the foot that you posted is your foot in a weight bearing posture, then by gross examination I can comfortably say that your arch is not collapsed.

Steven is correct in that collapse is related to pronation, and the need for orthotics is many times related to collapse as well. In my experience however, it takes many years to develop a true collapse.

True Arch Collapse:
1. Rupture of the Posterior Tibial Tendon. This prohibits midfoot/hindfoot stabilization. This will result in the inability to do a single-legged heel rise (Stand on your toes). According to you, you don't have this problem.

2. Uncovering of the Talar Head. When the arch collapses, what is happening is the head of the talus is moving medially and forming a large bony lump in the sole of the arch. This is usually very painful. This makes the arch appear flat. This is obviously not happening in your picture.

3. Loss of Hindfoot Motion A foot with a collapsed arch can not go from valgus to varus even when the patient is able to stand on their toes. The hindfoot does not pivot.

You may have problems, but I would suggest having a professional look at your feet to ascertain what those problems are. I doubt you have collapsed arches. You may however be developing the signs of posterior tibial tendinitis.

Or......you could be developing......

1. Retro Calcaneal Bursitis
2. Calcaneal Stress Fracture
3. Posterior Tibiotalar Tendinits
4. Early onset arthritis
5. etc, etc, etc....

There are a lot of things out there that could be giving you your problems.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
David Hughes

Profile:

Just an update, I finally went to a Podiatrist because the pain was not going away, not getting worse, but remaining consistent. Bone structure is fine, but there is inflammation in the tendons below the ankle. Also I was told that I have high arches, my foot rolls in as I walk and my heal leans in when I stand straight (not new information for me). The Dr. recommended two things, don't run barefoot any more and get orthotics for my shoes. Since I don't want to buy custom orthotics, we decided for me to take a month and run in shoes during my workouts, take an anti-inflammatory, and ice it after every workout. We'll see what happens.

Using common sense, I should have started icing right when the pain started. Concerning running barefoot, I have enjoyed it and I have no knee pain when I run. I think I simply did too much too quick. Either way, I will use my indoor soccer shoes for now during all wods.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

You're better off focusing on improve your leg (hip, knee, ankle) posture than wearing the shoes IMO.

I don't recommend shoes or orthotics. Barefoot is vastly superior if you can figure out the right posture to have. But what do I know.

Good luck.