CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
Kathy Jennings

Profile:
Re: Torn Shoulder Labrum Surgery and Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Did your surgeon use biodegradable anchors?

Pain may not necessarily be a bad thing. Depends on where it is.

But yeah, get it checked out just in case...
Pain is like a sharp "catch" pain in the front of the shoulder that travels down my arm. Having tingling sensations in my pinky and thumb. Similar to the pain that I was having initially prior to surgery. guess this is why I am a bit nervous. Just had been doing so well.

Gosh, don't know about the anchors...but I will definitely ask. I am looking at the pictures that the surgeon took during the scope procedure and they appear to be silver. Would I be able to tell by the color? Sorry for my ignorance. I went into this surgery really not knowing what to expect. I initially suffered this bankart lesion from an old basketball injury years ago. It turns out that I had a hills-sach fracture with along with the bankart. Back then they would stretch a ligament across and place a bone staple to stabilize it. Years of wear and tear finally gave way to the original problem. Except now with more damage. I am just ready to start exercising and getting back into shape. Thanks for your reply. I have been trying for a while now to find a place to correspond about this recovery journey.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #22
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. Don't wanna give you any false hope or bad new though.

Good luck with your appointments.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
Kyle Sattgast

Profile:

Kathy, like Steve said get it checked out. I'm 4months out from my type II repair. I still get a bit of pain every now and again. Its a mindf@#( when the things gets irritated. Hope you're OK.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Kathy Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Sattgast View Post
Kathy, like Steve said get it checked out. I'm 4months out from my type II repair. I still get a bit of pain every now and again. Its a mindf@#( when the things gets irritated. Hope you're OK.
Isn't that the truth. Was feeling really good and excited that my recovery was moving right along. Then, the pain....almost made me panic and the mind takes off....for me anyway. Start thinking surgery all over again. Hope the dr. calls tomorrow; but my appt is not until the 17th.

BTW....what is a type II repair? I am 6 1/2 weeks post surgery. Still wear my arm in the sling during the day and sleep without it. I noticed on this panel that it seems like everyone else is so far ahead of me in recovery. Are you able to move your arm quite a bit at 4 months? How long did it take you to really get it moving?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #25
Kyle Sattgast

Profile:

So true Kathy; the mind starts racing, thoughts of surgery appear, and I feel as if I'm going to barf. At 4 months out I have complete range of motion (even though I have more ROM in my good arm). I'm down to physical therapy once a week with strengthening on my own. I've recently been given permission to run/sprint and front squat.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #26
Gary Martins

Profile:

I had a labrum repair with 3 synthetic permanent anchors, caused by a full anterior shoulder dislocation. They also had to use a staple to tighten my rotator cuff as it was really stretched out from the dislocation. It took me about a year before I felt no pain / comfortable and confident with my shoulder. It's year two now and I am now doing OHS with 135lb without any pain or discomfort.

The hardest part for me is gaining confidence that my shoulder joint will remain intact after the agony I went through when it came out. PT sucks...they make you do 3lb curls and throw blow up balls at the wall, feels stupid but it works..and takes a lot of patience. You want to make sure it heals right the first time and not have to deal with it again.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
Kathy Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Martins View Post
I had a labrum repair with 3 synthetic permanent anchors, caused by a full anterior shoulder dislocation. They also had to use a staple to tighten my rotator cuff as it was really stretched out from the dislocation. It took me about a year before I felt no pain / comfortable and confident with my shoulder. It's year two now and I am now doing OHS with 135lb without any pain or discomfort.

The hardest part for me is gaining confidence that my shoulder joint will remain intact after the agony I went through when it came out. PT sucks...they make you do 3lb curls and throw blow up balls at the wall, feels stupid but it works..and takes a lot of patience. You want to make sure it heals right the first time and not have to deal with it again.

Thanks for your info...I know I need to be patient but I just want to be up and running. Doc said to cut back my exercises for now until I see him in a couple of weeks. By the time I get home in the evening, my pain is pretty tough. I still wear the sling during the day while at work. Week 8 tomorrow. Did you have to stay in the sling so long?