CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Jacob Gallaway

Profile:
bringing up weaknesses

if one is generally weak in one area of fitness. is a good idea to work those in addition to the wod or just do the wod and let those weaknesses pick themselve up. i am not really elite nor novice at any aspect of fitness just wondering what the crossfit answer would be i want to be crossfit/gpp. so i was wondering if crossfit covers all my bases or if i should do additional work to master all. any input is greatly appreciated also i know the rx to do the add skill or strength work but i am talking about like either following double programming or something like that or crossfit will bring up my weaknesses while not letting me get unfit in other areas.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: bringing up weaknesses

If you feel you have a weakness in one area that is not coming up through just CF, add some extra work in the warm up, or as a cool down. Don't feel like you can ONLY do the CF WOD to be doing CF. The point is to tailor it to your individual needs
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Adding in extra work depends on your experience level. If you're pretty new to CF, then you'll do a pretty good job of evening out any weaknesses just by following the vanilla WODs. Then if it's 6 months down the road and you need to give more attention to your distance running, slow lifts, or Oly lifts, that would be the time to incorporate CFE, CFSB, hybrid heavy metcons, or Mike's Gym-type stuff depending on what your goals are.

Extra skill work is always good though...spending 5 minutes after each WOD working on your flexibility or handstands won't fry your CNS and risk overtraining like you would if you did 5x5 deadlifts three times a week after WODs.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Adding in extra work depends on your experience level. If you're pretty new to CF, then you'll do a pretty good job of evening out any weaknesses just by following the vanilla WODs. Then if it's 6 months down the road and you need to give more attention to your distance running, slow lifts, or Oly lifts, that would be the time to incorporate CFE, CFSB, hybrid heavy metcons, or Mike's Gym-type stuff depending on what your goals are.

Extra skill work is always good though...spending 5 minutes after each WOD working on your flexibility or handstands won't fry your CNS and risk overtraining like you would if you did 5x5 deadlifts three times a week after WODs.
Wouldn't you want to do extra strength work beforehand?