CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Peter A Sheeran

Profile:
Re: Pain in Elbow from Pushups

As for substitutions, I know dips and push ups are out but do you think it would be ok to do movements like push presses or jerks with a dowel just to keep working on form in wods that require them or just substitute something else.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:

Wow! So glad this thread started and don't want to high jack it BUT would like to dig a little deeper. Been CrossFitting for years but started focusing on ring work (dips) and ring push-ups. My pain seems to be right on the tip of my elbow.(olecranon) It feels like its bruised when I set it on a table and definitely can't do ring dips or full push ups, feeling the pain right before full extension of the elbow joint. I even feel it when swimming the breast stroke but no pain during freestyle. I CAN do tons of pull-ups with no pain. It's been a month of rest, ice and arnica...... am I going to eventually heal or did I do something that will be chronic? I have not gotten any better nor any worse?????
Also, like Stephen advised, stay away from any excersise in which you feel any pain.

Hope we all get this elbow issue resolved and get back to hard CrossFit training.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Peter A Sheeran

Profile:

Just went to a physiotherapist, they didn't know what was wrong but said it was probably a swollen bursa or a muscle tear and it shouldn't be anything serious because I have full ROM.
They massaged it then did some ultrasound therapy on it.
I was instructed to rest it for 4 weeks, massage regularly and ice 3-4 times a day, then return in 5 days if it doesn't improve.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
Peter A Sheeran

Profile:

Also forgot to add told no pushing movements, or anything that loads the triceps for 4 weeks and no heavy or explosive pulling movements for 5 days.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback on your dr visit. Though my symptoms do not include snapping and pain is right on olecranon I am going to do the same recovery as you for a while and see if it helps. I was thinking bursitis as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds like bursitis or tendonitis....

Lots of massage, direct ice, rest. Yup.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 AM   #17
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:

Steven, do you have a % for the chances of complete healing with regards to bursitis or tendonitis? It seems like the elbow will never actually rest. For example opening and closing car doors, windows, carrying things, walking/washing dogs ).....etc. (can you tell I am perplexed by this?) I have never had an injury not go away........ It's been 3 weeks.

p.s. A few previous posts ago I posted my symptoms that are a in a slightly different location then the op but I think we are experiencing the same injury.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Sanfilippo View Post
Steven, do you have a % for the chances of complete healing with regards to bursitis or tendonitis? It seems like the elbow will never actually rest. For example opening and closing car doors, windows, carrying things, walking/washing dogs ).....etc. (can you tell I am perplexed by this?) I have never had an injury not go away........ It's been 3 weeks.

p.s. A few previous posts ago I posted my symptoms that are a in a slightly different location then the op but I think we are experiencing the same injury.
Complete healing is dependent on your ability to not aggravate it... as well as speed it up with recovery techniques.

Use your other arm more?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Classic tennis elbow/golf elbow as your doctor indicated. People that bench press a lot typically get this. If you are skinny and doing a lot of push-ups, this could be the culprit... too much weight on small tendons. Once you get back into action maybe substitue incline/decline pushups until your stregth is sufficient. Also add some light incline bench press and resistance band therapy. Flat bench and pushups seem to cause all kinds of disorders if not done properly or if overdone. It's amazing how much the stress is reduced when you change the angle one way or the other... stress is taken off the shoulder and elbow joints and is transferred instead to other areas of the pectoral muscles/ delts, and triceps. Just my 2 cents as I have learned from my own recent chest rehab.