CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
Broad Street Run - Training Ideas

Maybe this should be posted elsewhere but here goes. The annual Broad Street Run in Philly is May 3rd, about 8.5 weeks away, and I decided today that it was a good competitive event to work towards. I am a garage gym'er so I am lacking the competitive nature of an affiliate and figured this would really boost my motivation. The race is 10 miles, mostly downhill. I am admittedly in no way a long distance runner. I've never trained for it and never aspired to. That being said, I went out for a run today just to get a sense of where I'm at and did 2.8 miles in 28 minutes. I'm in the tail end of a Starting Strength cycle and I don't want to lose all that strength so I will absolutely be eating as much food as possible, keeping it clean but not necessarily zone ratios or anything. I'm a lean guy (hence the starting strength cycle) so I just want to make sure I'm not shedding 10 lbs during the course of the training. Obviously eating alone won't retain strength gains so some heavy lifting sessions are a must. I'm shying away from a 3/1 split because I'd like to keep one long distance run per week on the weekends as well as only one workout per day, whether it is MetCon, ME, or running. I'm thinking something like this:

Monday: ME WOD

Tuesday: Timed Run of 3 miles to start, trying to increase "per mile" time each week and increasing to 5 or 6 miles by the last week.

Wednesday: ME WOD

Thursday: MetCon WOD

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: Distance run for completion, untimed, starting at 4-5 miles and increasing 0.5 mile per week to 9 miles in the last week.

Sunday: Rest Day

I like the idea of having a rest day before and after the long run. Please inject all suggestions and color commentary. Once I have a set plan, I may start a thread in the Training Log section to track progress and keep motivation levels up. Thank you all in advance.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Broad Street Run - Training Ideas

With only 8.5 weeks to train, you've set yourself a pretty tough goal. A rest day before and after your long run is good, but you need to build capacity quickly. To support that, you might want to do a long run once every two weeks and focus on building capacity. That means you need to add more running to your workout. When I was a powerlifter, I lifted 3-4 times a week and ran 4-5 miles after every workout; when I got bored with distance running, I would run 400m, 200m, 100m and 50m sprints. So it is doable. I would suggest that you cut the time you spend on metcons in half (or cut the rounds in half) and run 2-3 miles after each workout. Do this for two weeks and then increase the distance to 3-4 miles during weeks 3 and 4. By week 6, you want to be able to run at least 5 miles after a workout. During the week immediately before the run, cut your running down to no more than 4 miles per workout. Take a look at CrossFit Endurance for some additional ideas. I haven't done any serious running in a long time, so feel free to take my suggestions with a lot of skepticism.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

Sheldon, we are starting a training program for the Broad Street Run based on the CFE program. We're meeting Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings in South Philly.

Not sure if you want to make the trip from Ardmore but if you're interested PM me for more info.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Do CFE workouts twice a week and you'll be fine. Doing long, slow runs will be less helpful than the interval work of CFE.

On race day, start out slow. You can always pick up the pace after mile 5.