CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

One thing about Crossfit coverage in general (such as it is) is that CF is generally stigmatized with Rhabdo. This article falls into the same pattern, meaning that it makes is sound like CF is the only thing in the entire world that can cause rhabdo. Know what the single biggest cause of rhabdo in the US military is? Basic training.

Yes, CF can cause rhabdo. So can powerlifting, ultradistance running and a host of other athletic endeavors. Getting your @$$ off the couch and into the world causes all manner of complications, it's up to each of us to use some common sense and self awareness.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #22
Daniel Gam

Profile:
T-nation article

i don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but what did you guys think about the T-nation article's assessment of crossfit

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/the_truth_about_crossfit (safe link (except for the usual disclaimers about T-Nation (near-nudity, etc.))

Merged from another thread

Last edited by David Wood : 11-05-2008 at 07:01 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #23
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: T-nation article

I found this article pretty good. Fair and realistic.

The only thing that bugged me was the inclusion of :
And here's Charles Poliquin: "If you try to do everything in your workout, you get nothing. CrossFit is different, and maybe even fun for some people, but it's not very effective. No athlete has ever gotten good training like that."

That's more a beef with Poliquin than with this article, but I don't see the need to include the quote there.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #24
Christopher Day

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gam View Post
i don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but what did you guys think about the T-nation article's assessment of crossfit

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...about_crossfit
Quite honestly, this article is legit and scores on most of its key points. Crossfit is legitimately about community built on a foundation of intensity and scalability. Its program is unanimously defined as GPP. It's exceptionally difficult and it works.

That said, the CrossFit community is massive and often disconnected, other than through the main site portal. Quality control can be an issue but this is not a fault of HQ. (CrossFit can also accurately be said to have educated more people about safety and technique than almost any other fitness community currently active.)

CrossFit's claims about hypertrophy are unreasonable and based on untenable or straw man assumptions. Also, despite CrossFit's continual efforts to educate the public about Rhabdomyalisis, the clowning of the issue (which might originally have been an appropriate inside joke, but is no longer) is a continual source of embarassment.

This article does a credit to T-Nation in my opinion.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #25
Adam Pirri

Profile:

Completely agree with Chris.
On a whole i think it was a good article, either way with all the media attention more people discover CrossFit.

Shugart credits Crossfit for what it is and good to see him actually visiting a few affiliates before writing an article, he actually attempted to understand CrossFit rather than just sit there and critique it without trying it.

Like any program every coach has their own opinion on creating the "perfect" program for the client or population they are training.

CrossFit reaches out to a huge worldwide population and supplies a generic GPP to create an all round well balanced individual ready for lifes everyday activities.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #26
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Has anyone died from crossfit induced rhabdo yet?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #27
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Am I the only one who sees a discrepency between how reasonable TC is when he disaparages someone versus how unreasonable Greg is when he disparages someone? Flipantly calling someone's life work baseless filth for the masses is reasonable; however, responding with if it is so trivial why don't you publicly attempt the workout you dismiss is characterized by being an egomaniac.

I guess its all a matter of perspective in the end.

I do want to say that this level of research and thought into an article at T-Nation on CrossFit is suprising and refreshing as I am a longtime fan of both places.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #28
Bethany Wadsworth

Profile:

I thought the article was good. I've been reading T-nation for years and gotten alot of good information. I never thought, however, that I'd see a picture of me there (page 2 with Glassman)! LOL! Almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #29
Tom Brose

Profile:

My pic is on their too, uhh checking form on Libby at the CF games.

Overall, much better than I expected, and good that Shugart checked out some affiliates first. I do agree that while bringing up Coaches public battles is fair game, would be nice to see some commentary on any of the thousands of people he has helped, charity projects, gratis work with military, etc, etc.

The whole thing with Rhabdo still puzzles me, no other fitness organization discusses it, the causes, ways to avoid etc. It is common in marathons, but because we openly discuss it, it is being trivialized?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #30
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post

I've read some good stuff from you in the past.

Glad you decided to stop by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shugart View Post
I'm glad you guys found the article fair and balanced. Props to Troy at CrossFit Plano and Sam at CrossFit Dallas Central.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brose View Post
My pic is on their too, uhh checking form on Libby at the CF games.

Overall, much better than I expected, and good that Shugart checked out some affiliates first. I do agree that while bringing up Coaches public battles is fair game, would be nice to see some commentary on any of the thousands of people he has helped, charity projects, gratis work with military, etc, etc.

The whole thing with Rhabdo still puzzles me, no other fitness organization discusses it, the causes, ways to avoid etc. It is common in marathons, but because we openly discuss it, it is being trivialized?
I think the problem is that by openly discussing it and even having a mascot for it, we make it seem like a bigger problem for CrossFit than it actually is. I'm sure if any statistics were compiled, CrossFit would not have any more occurrences of Rhabdo than any other activity/sport but because we talk about it so often it makes it seem like we do.

Think of it this way, we have a mascot for puking because we probably puke more than the average fitness enthusiast. We also have a mascot for rhabdo, so a person could assume our muscles break down and die more than the average fitness enthusiast.

It's all in the marketing.

Closed Thread