CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #41
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
Re: Your questions for Coach and Lauren on CrossFit Radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I would really like to know an answer to this question! Along with it maybe, what needs to be done to get CF Certs accredited and what is preventing it from happening sooner? And what, if anything, can we do to help the process along??
Not to mention that with certain military branches accepting more and more of CF, it would be nice to get the college office to pay for the certs.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #42
Leah Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
Why no met cons with back squats?
haha I second that...not that I wish for it to happen!

Also, I second the other crossfit affiliates, etc. coming up w/ their "own" programming question.

And...what does Coach think about a simplefit-pseudo-Crossfit being implemented as the foundation for PE in schools?

Tell him THANKS!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
Josue Alamillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
I want to hear Coach's thoughts on what seems to be a growing number of CFers stepping away from the main site WODs and running either Starting Strength cycles or hybrid programs like Gant Grimes'. What place do these alternate programs have in the overall advancement of long-term GPP? In other words, are the CF programmers looking into the results from these programs (and if we are to believe some of these message board threads, the results are overwhelmingly positive)? If so, is there any consideration of implementing more strength based WODs and/or shorter metcons?
I second this question also
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #44
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josue Alamillo View Post
I second this question also
fabulous question...i third that!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #45
John Maloney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
We do see this occasionally, as in "Barbara," today's 400m runs with mandatory 2 minute rest, and occasionally in 800m runs with full recovery. With weights, we have "Lynne," which allows for as much rest as needed, and we had a curious DL/HSPU WOD a few months back with as much rest as needed as well. Also, of course, FGB and the Tabatas (though 10s is probably not enough for what you're looking for).

So it's there, just maybe not as much as you would like?

I do, however, second the desire for more sprints <400m.
It's a fair point Stephen, but yes, I did mean why don't we see "more". You can't really call a 1-3-5RM strength workout to be an interval workout, so I don't include them. Lynne is arguable, and Barbara is rarely seen. So really, that leaves the 400's, FGB, & the odd "10 - 100m sprints" which is also rarely seen. It's really a pretty small amount of true interval workouts. Consider though the emphasis on intensity and the effectiveness of intervals, as outlined in several CFJ articles, due to the greater discreet levels of intensity afforded by intervals. It seems like the WODs would be leveraging that effectiveness more.

I don't have specific ratios calculated, but I would estimate intervals to be utilized in maybe 15% of WOD's. This is a WAG (wild-***-guess) but it's probably close if you consider the whole pool of WODS including strength. With regard to WODs, I really like the mix of strength work that we get, but the meat, or heart, of CF seems to be the 15-20 min MetCon. Fran, Helen, Cindy, & FGB are , to me, the essence of CF. When you do one of these WODs, you pretty much "get it".

Thanks for pointing that out though & giving me the chance to clarify. For my part, I'm trying to walk the walk & experiment w/ the WODs & intervals. You can "intervalize" just about any of them and it's been fun doing jist that. In addition to adding a sprint interval WOD once every 2 cycles, I also "intervalize" at least 1 out of 3 metcons. It feels like its effective and its been a lot of fun as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #46
John Maloney

Profile:

Sorry, wanted to mention 1 more thing.

If it seems I am a bit fixated, I admit this is true. My interest began when I noticed, regarding our "gymnastics/weightlifting/sprinting cult" that I wasn't actually doing any sprinting to speak of. Every 400m run was either a "survival jog" or well-paced (1:45's on Helen for example) - definitely nowhere close to an all-out sprint.

On top of that, Greg Everett. 2nd place CF games, 2 yrs running. He dominated the 1st CFT at the first games and he's got impressive speed. You look at his training and there are a LOT of sprints. My speed sucks. Everyone says "do intervals" to get faster. I'm taking that advice.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #47
John Maloney

Profile:

Sorry, meant Josh Everett.

Edit option seems to be removed.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #48
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maloney View Post
Sorry, meant Josh Everett.

Edit option seems to be removed.

Editing your own posts is only possible in the 30 minutes or so after posting . . . then the "window" closes.

Next best is to do what you just did . . . post a correction.