CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #71
Heath Powell

Profile:
Re: Ufc 87!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
BJ Penn vs. Georges St. Pierre
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir (T)
Wanderlei Silva vs. TBA

That's a sick card! BJ vs GSP will be for the title too!
SWeeeeet!

How is it going to work with the belts?

Will the winner have both?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #72
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Powell View Post
SWeeeeet!

How is it going to work with the belts?

Will the winner have both?
BJ would win the WW belt if he wins. GSP wont win the LW belt though since they're not fighting at LW.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #73
Sean Dunston

Profile:

From MMA Weekly

Quote:
By Damon Martin/MMAWeekly.com Aug 12, 12:43 pm EDT

The life of a champion comes with many challenges including a seemingly never-ending list of opponents. It appears Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre already has his next challenger laying in wait for him.

Following an exciting night of fights at UFC 87, company president Dana White confirmed to the media in attendance that current lightweight champion B.J. Penn would move back up to 170 pounds to face St. Pierre
, with most speculation landing the bout on the UFC’s big year-end event in late December.

“They both really want that fight, they both want to fight each other,” said White during the UFC 87 post-fight press conference. “I’m going to let that fight happen and then I’ll figure out what we’re going to do at 155.”

White said “definitely” that St. Pierre’s next challenge would come from Penn, but despite rumors circling that the fight could take place in the champion’s hometown of Montreal, White responded, “probably not.”

St. Pierre, who adamantly stated that he would not duck any deserving challenger, seemed more than content to put his welterweight championship on the line with Penn.

“I want to be a real champion, I want to be the best in the world,” St. Pierre stated. “And to be the best in the world you need to fight the best in the world and I want to give a shot to everybody that deserves it. B.J. Penn deserves it, he’s an incredible fighter.”

Penn was said to be seen in the crowd at UFC 87 cheering on St. Pierre during his title defense against Jon Fitch. St. Pierre currently holds a win over Penn in 2006 via split decision.

St. Pierre mentioned during the press conference that many fighters, including Thiago Alves and EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields, as challengers that have also called him out recently, but Penn will get the next crack at the title.

“This is a big fight and they both want it and I think everybody wants to see it,” said UFC president Dana White about the upcoming bout between St. Pierre and Penn.
The emphasis in bold, above, is mine... Montreal is the site of UFC 91, and since Dana White says it probably won't happen there, and the headliners are already on tap for 88, 89 and 90, then 92 makes sense. Especially since it will be a HUGE week in Vegas -- New Years Eve is always a big event there.

So I guess nobody will get a shot at the 155# belt until at least early spring, since BJ will be preparing for this fight, they won't yank the LW belt out from under him, and it would take him a bit of recovery (win or lose) after a fight with GSP to get back in shape and defend at 155#.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #74
Celio Silva

Profile:

BJ is coming in at walking weight...165...with plenty of time to train...at 165! Add to that the motivation of avenging his loss to another top p4p and being the only UFC champ to hold 2 belts simutaneously and you have a MONSTER! GSP will have a lot of weight on BJ, but BJ dosen't have to worry about bulking or cutting, only about training and then peaking his conditioning for the fight. This is fight of the century material!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #75
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
This is fight of the century material!

I couldn't agree more! This will be a great New Year's present, hopefully Dana will deliver.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #76
Joel Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
BJ is coming in at walking weight...165...with plenty of time to train...at 165! Add to that the motivation of avenging his loss to another top p4p and being the only UFC champ to hold 2 belts simutaneously and you have a MONSTER! GSP will have a lot of weight on BJ, but BJ dosen't have to worry about bulking or cutting, only about training and then peaking his conditioning for the fight. This is fight of the century material!
i totally agree... its hard for me because these are my two favorite fighters! I also have heard about the chance of chuck vs anderson silva at 205 on this card as well. I wouldnt miss it for anything!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #77
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Thomas View Post
i totally agree... its hard for me because these are my two favorite fighters! I also have heard about the chance of chuck vs anderson silva at 205 on this card as well. I wouldnt miss it for anything!
That would surprise me and it would be a very quick turn around for both fighters since Chuck is fighting at UFC 88 on Sept 6th and Silva is fighting (@180#) at UFC 90 on Oct 25th.

But I agree -- if Chuck wins this (Sept 6th) fight and if Silva wants to continue fighting at 205, then I would REALLY want to see it.