CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

my name is shane werner, i learned of this sight from my dad, david. i am spending a year in germany and have very limited resources to work with as far as weight training goes. i have two questions about bodyweight workouts. the first is what is the best gut workout? i have been doing leglifts and have seen inprovments but i feel it more in my quads then in my stomach. is that just my mucles catching up, or am i not doing it right? also would swimming be an exceptable workout in place of running. were i am it is very icey making running difficult and not very productive, would swimming laps burn fat as a substatute?
Old 02-02-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Check out stairs indoors or get some decent boots or off-road running shoes and hike/run either in the snow or on the road. I lived in Berlin for 2 years and never had much problem even in the dead of winter. One trick is to wrap a towel around your neck, like a scarf. It makes breathing the cold air seem easier.

Other ideas: You can find something heavy to lift, chairs, buckets, dufflebags full of gravel, etc., and do all the crossfit weight workouts that way.

If you _must_ do bodyweight only, think military PT. Pushups, situps, leg lifts, mountain climbers, burpees, handstands, headstands, dips, pullups on the top of a sturdy door, and so on...

Use your imagination.

Good luck.