CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #21
Robert Wolf

Profile:
janet- it is interesting you mention breathng...Prof. cordain did some research looing at exercise induced asthma and sodium intake. In a nutshell a paleo diet which is low in sodium/high i potassium (an magnesium) greatly improved exercise induced asthma. I have no proof of this but would not be surprised if there is a general improvement in vascular and alveolar dialation on a paleo diet. Very interesting!
Robb
Old 02-11-2003, 04:17 PM   #22
Janet Fisher

Profile:

At one point, I also suspected that starchy food was keeping me from breathing easy, but, yeah, I feel the same kind of subtle laboring after salty foods too.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #23
Robert Wolf

Profile:
A large insulin response up regulates the enzyme pathway for the production of n-6 faty acids (delta -5-desatuarase?) which leads to a cascade of pro-inflamatory prostaglandins. Additionally, a high insulin level causes a aldosterone type effect in the renal cortex leading to sodium retention and potassium excretion. None of this is goig to benefit an inflamatory state. It sounds like your instincts were right on here!
Robb
Old 02-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #24
Janet Fisher

Profile:

By God, you should post this (or the layman's version) to an asthma support site. :-) I'm serious, by the way.

(Why don't they teach all this in highschool health class?)
Old 02-12-2003, 10:39 PM   #25
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Well...as Coach asserts in the Coaches corner...it is akin to genocide...half a million people die every year from our afluent lifestyle...funny that we are not going to war over that but there is incredible amounts of money to be made off MANAGING all this illness and none to be made off preventing it.
Also Janet, most people are simply unwilling to undergo the changes you are doing...it is not comfortable at first and the benefits vs veggin in front of the TV are not imediate. That is why I left medical school and decided to persue this path. People like you and the community which has grown here constantly reafirm why i love tinkering with diet and exercise.
Robb