CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-22-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Dan John

Profile:

She made a great point: none. Why warm up in 100 degree weather? Also, she felt the first 10 K set her up for the rest of the race.

It is nice to see a runner think outside the box of running: carbs, stretching, carbs, volume...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
Bob Long

Profile:
Deena ran a smart race. The last four miles she was running faster than anybody still out there. She just ran out of race: another mile and she would have won: there was exactly 1 minute between 1st and 3rd. On a 95 degree day on a hilly course, what an effort. And Dan's right; marathoners are increasingly becoming wise to what is seen as alternative training methods. When I started running marathons 20+ years ago, you ran 100 miles a week, ate pasta, and slept a lot. Too many runners' careers were ended by injury from that kind of training. Now I run 50% less, do Crossfit, and at 48 I am running marathon times I haven't seen in 15 years.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Did you hear the commentataor guys on NBC say that Mizuki Noguchi, the woman who won the marathon, does one-and-a-half times bodyweight squats in her training? Of course, she's tiny, but she didn't have the completely wasted look of some of the marathoners--and she won!

What an emotional roller coaster that race was!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
Steve Lewis

Profile:  
I watched the race and throughly enjoyed it. I also heard the comment about warming up from the US runner and I wonder if the British runner did a warm up routine, maybe that is why she boinked at mile 23.

Noguchi was awesome, took off at mile 16 and never really had to look back.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Since Kelly Holmes was running today in the 1500 I paid attention since she looked good for gold. She ran a very similar race to her 800m, and the guy who won the mens 800m did pretty much the same thing. They both took the first lap easy so and then had more strength at the end than the rest of the field. In the 1500m, 200m before Kelly looked like she was still holding back while everyone else was looking crushed, then when it came to the final 50-75m Kelly was gone and nobody could touch her. Some very intelligent racing, and it reminded me of the American in the marathon who took the first 10k as a warm up then finished incredibly strong. A good gem of race knowledge is in there.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Graham Kelly was able to apply that strategy because she has such a strong kick. Those that lack wheels are forced to work harder by pushing the pace earlier in the race.