CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Rolando Garcia

Profile:
Comment on clean "fail"

This was a fail, on 80% of my max. I beleive I'm just being cautious about getting under bar (bad knee). http://youtu.be/Xfgzc0-7uoc
Old 01-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Mike Doehla

Profile:
Re: Comment on clean "fail"

You had that easy. Just a commitment issue.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Keith Miller

Profile:

Agree, you pulled that way more than high enough. You need to get more confident and turn that bar over to get under it!!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

I agree that the pull was solid and you definitely could have landed it if you had dropped under the bar. That being said, one thing that concerns me a bit is your foot placement on the landing. Your toes end up pretty pointed out, which will increase the valgus stress on your knees when you drop into the squat (and exacerbate a bad knee).

Try working on having your feet finish more in line with your knees as opposed to splaying out. A good drill for that is to draw chalk lines on the ground where you want your feet to land, and then work on aiming for those lines using PVC pipe or light loads.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Agree you appear to have driven the bar plenty high enough to finish the lift. Also appears the bar path was close to your body as your shirt brushed upward from the bar.

I know folks are saying to get under it and yes, I agree. BUT I will say having to get past serious mobility issues in my lats, triceps and wrists this fast finish and get under the bar process can seem very difficult. Took me a long time to develop the mobility needed to turn the bar quickly and drop under while being able to receive in a solid front rack position.

What I'm saying is I would focus heavily on that front rack mobility. Lats, triceps, shoulders, wrists...stay light on the weight. Drill it and then move up.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Rob Bousquet

Profile:

I agree with Glenn but something I usually use to cue people is to drop under the bar sooner. Not really faster because most people think they are going as fast as they can. If you pull yourself under the bar earlier since you are getting it so high you will be under it before it gets momentum going down. Then the bar will help determine how low you need to go. I feel most people need to learn the feel of the transition from going up to going down earlier in their lift. Many of my members pull too long. I could be wrong.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Let me borrow this thread with a bit of quick question.

If the bar moves too far away from my body during the second pull phase, is there a general guide whats wrong, like perhaps pulling too early? What I feel is that I bump the bar with my quads and thats why its going the wrong way, but during the catch I have no issues, it lands nicely on the rack position. My estimate is it travels around 3 inches away.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Let me borrow this thread with a bit of quick question.

If the bar moves too far away from my body during the second pull phase, is there a general guide whats wrong, like perhaps pulling too early? What I feel is that I bump the bar with my quads and thats why its going the wrong way, but during the catch I have no issues, it lands nicely on the rack position. My estimate is it travels around 3 inches away.
Would have to see a video of your "estimated 3 inches away" to see what we're talking about. However, you don't want to actually "bump" the bar with the thighs, it should be a brush, or incidental contact. If it's a sharp change in direction of the bar, then you're "bumping" too hard. The thigh brush should occur mearly because you're keeping the bar that close to your body/legs as you pull.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Early arm bend and slow turn over, look at 14 seconds, pause it and you will see, your strength hides the fact. You are cleaning from the first pull's momentum and a little arm bend. You keep your arms ''long'' until the shrug, you will do alot more.

Oh and fast elbow will get you under the bar better. Think ''upper cut'' after the shrug.