CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Adam Robinson

Profile:
Snatch Critique - Contact with Pubic Bone

I know its not the greatest snatch, i find it hard to land in full OHS. But my main problem is that im coming into contact with my Pubic bone which hurts after a while. And now it is psychologically psyching me out because im afraid to be powerful in popping the hips because im afraid im going to rail my pubic bone on the bar. Any info on how i can fix this or anything you guys notice would be much appreciated.

First time i ever even tried a snatch without coaching my PR was 165# and i wasn't connecting with my pubic bone

Now after learning some technique i seem to always be hitting my pubic bone...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18F4RsYMTbk
( @ local box, relatively light weight 95#, just a warm up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCJkqmCUKuA
135# which use to be a breeze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lz_p5vWv68
( This one i bailed on because of technique)

please help
Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Snatch Critique - Contact with Pubic Bone

1. Put shoes on every time you are doing Olympic lifting. Seriously, it's a safety thing. You do not want to drop a loaded bar on your foot.

2. Your back is waaaaay not set from the beginning. Like, you are really hunched over, lower back and upper back. Get your glutes and core tight, and pull your shoulders back. Also get your butt down more on the setup, your torso should be a lot closer to vertical than horizontal.

3. If you are working on snatches, I'm assuming you are interested in Olympic lifting, as in the full lifts. If so, you must teach yourself to become comfortable getting into the hole. Do snatch balances and high hang snatches with light weight until you can comfortably land in that rock bottom catch position. High hang should also get you more comfortable with where the bar should be landing in your hip crease, so you can expect it without worrying about smashing yourself.

These videos have been extremely helpful for me in learning the lift: http://www.californiastrength.com/vi...egory/5/snatch wfs

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 06-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Deb Weber

Profile:

Cant help w pubic bone.
Your setup. Back is rounded, chest not up enough. Hips shoot up so quick your upper body is parallel to floor. Hard to get a good zing like that esp when its heavier. Your bar never sweeps in, seems to swing away a little then its a trap fling straight up.
(I try to think sign the wall w my breasts to keep chest up and its still hard).

Last edited by Deb Weber : 06-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Adam Robinson

Profile:

Yes i do not know what is with my set up but even when i try to keep my back as vertical as possible and shoulders back, it feels so awkward, that it does not even feel comfortable to lift. I guess i just have to work on the mechanics with a light weight.
Thanks for the videos, those are AMAZING cues and tips. cant wait to try the snatch now, and see if any progress i made!
Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, as I told via PM you can't get in a good position without some kind of shoes. They are better in trainers and would be better in WL shoes.

You could try doing them in work boot or cowboy boot. Hell even a regular shoe with a heel insert to raise the heel. You'll be able to set your back a lot easier with that heel elevated.

Quote:
I try to think sign the wall w my breasts to keep chest up and its still hard

I'm not sure what this exactly means, but it sounds real interesting for sure.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Deb Weber

Profile:

Clarifying: Its hard not to get pulled forward and keep a tight back even w cues. Heres a better one, name tag on your chest gotta say hello to the wall?
Shoes help a lot, i can still get in a better start than his without.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I guess audial cues suck for me.

I've snatched barefoot but it got old real fast on the box concrete floor, even stall mats. My form was super craptastic in those days with more jump and flight time which was probably why it was more uncomfortable.

I can get into decent position at home with a stick but I doubt I'd care to snatch that way.

Besides, my shoes kick so much *** color wise, especially since I put the neon green laces to match the green stripes. Green Lantern Pendlay's for sure. They are my favorite pair of shoes, I'd almost consider wearing them casually.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I would look into the bottom up setup to help you get into a better position. I know there is a mobilitywod video on it and I read that glen pendlay recently posted a bottom up set up video.

For the pubic bone contact I believe it is related to your relatively horizonal back angle. As you violently throw your shoulders back and your hips through you make pretty hard contact with the bar. A more upright torso will decrease the horizontal change of your hips and thus decreasing the impact. Try to do some hang snatches with prioritizing an upright torso, think about knees out and not hips back, and see if that helps.