CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Craig Horstman

Profile:
running shoes

i'm currently running inov8 road x 233's, but they've about hit the end of the road, no pun intended. i'm in the army and do 2 long runs (3-4) miles and a sprint day every week. i can't run barefoot shoes because i get an impact pain in my right foot where the toe joins the foot. it's not really an issue in the 233s since they have a little cushion to them. i'm thinking about going to the 230s. any input? also any input on another brand would be welcome. thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Adrian Garcia

Profile:
Re: running shoes

IMO a 230 is a barefoot shoe. I'm also in the Army and was using Inov-8's 255's. I too also had foot pain when running at a distance. Strange huh? Anyway, I switched to Newton Running shoes, I have the trails for everyday PT and Gravity's for run days. I've had zero pain in my feet, knees or hips. I've ran upwards of 10 miles with them.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Craig Horstman

Profile:

you would think at some point in the time army, in all it's great wisdom, would figure out that maybe running as much as we isn't helping things. but until then, we will continue to do it as for the shoes, when i said i can't run barefoot, i meant as in merrells. but i have no problems running the inov8 233s. from the looks of it, the 233s and the 230s have the same sole except the 233s i have are road shoes and are a flat with no real lugs or grips on the sole. i guess that's what i'm not sure about.

edit: nevermind, after reading the inov8 site again, and looking at it right, it looks like the 230s sole is 3mm thinner than the 233s. at least i think i'm reading that right.

Last edited by Craig Horstman : 04-25-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Alison Krick

Profile:

I really enjoy the Brooks Pure series of shoes.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MRSBROOKS.html

They have the model 2 for pretty cheap otherwise there is the new 3 out. The Pure Flow is my favorite.

Also, http://www.holabirdsports.com/men-s-...er-brooks.html has great deals on the 2
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Rick H Larson

Profile:

I've been using F-Lite 230s for a couple years now as my running shoes. this past year I've toned down the running but the first year of wearing them I was doing quite a bit of distance running in preparation for the Super Spartan (9+ miles) version of the Spartan Race. They held up pretty well and I sued them frequently on mixed surfaces. I couldn't tell you exactly how many miles I was putting on them a week but my longer runs were more around 5-7 miles with several other runs ranging from 2-4.

I would say the 230s are definitely more of a barefoot shoe compared to your standard running shoes which are overblown with cushioning. To say they are a barefoot shoe though I think is a little inaccurate. There is foam cushioning along the whole bottom of the shoe and it makes a big difference when compared to the Bare-X and XF series.

If you do have impact pains you may require slightly more cushioning than what the 230s provide. Personally after wearing Inov-8s I really can't recommend any other brand. I use them for both running and as my daily shoes (2 pairs, just ordered a third). The new F-Lite 252s or Road-X 255 might be better options to reduce the impact. What type of surfaces are you running on?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Ben McDonald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post

edit: nevermind, after reading the inov8 site again, and looking at it right, it looks like the 230s sole is 3mm thinner than the 233s. at least i think i'm reading that right.
They actually are 4mm thinner while retaining the same drop as the 233s (6mm), which would be noticeable especially in the area you are prone to impact pain (11mm forefoot vs 7mm). If you are using the same shoe for distance and sprints, you may be in the right shoe since other minimal options in the same drop and stack height range tend to be more flexible than the Inov8s, which can really handicap interval work. Only option I would suggest maybe looking at is the Saucony A5, which has a 4mm drop but a bit more forefoot cushion and similar stiffness as the 233 while also being ~3oz lighter. Only downside is that they are technically a racing flat, so durability may be an issue (though they are ~$50 cheaper than Inov8s).
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H Larson View Post
What type of surfaces are you running on?
roads, roads, roads, and sprints on a track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben McDonald View Post
They actually are 4mm thinner while retaining the same drop as the 233s (6mm), which would be noticeable especially in the area you are prone to impact pain (11mm forefoot vs 7mm). If you are using the same shoe for distance and sprints, you may be in the right shoe since other minimal options in the same drop and stack height range tend to be more flexible than the Inov8s, which can really handicap interval work. Only option I would suggest maybe looking at is the Saucony A5, which has a 4mm drop but a bit more forefoot cushion and similar stiffness as the 233 while also being ~3oz lighter. Only downside is that they are technically a racing flat, so durability may be an issue (though they are ~$50 cheaper than Inov8s).
thanks for the advice. i'll definately check into them
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Joey Allen

Profile:

I really like the New Balance Minimus line. I run & C/F in Minimus Road Zeros (zero drop), but I think they've been discontinued. I switched to them after running in Vibram Five Finger Bikilas for 1.5 years. I like the tiny bit more cushion the Minimus Zero provides over the VFFs.. and not having to deal with toe socks. I think this is the replacement for the Road Zeros: (link is WFS)
http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-10...=3&cgid=167000

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Last edited by Joey Allen : 04-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
also any input on another brand would be welcome. thanks in advance.
I have had great success with the minimus 10 (road version) from NB. I have not tried version 2. You can still find version 1 around on the internet. Great shoe. Minimalist construction with some cushion.