CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
John Bird

Profile:
Box squat in a Rogue R3 rack?

I have never done a box squat before, but would like to start.

I see on YouTube the movement involves one step back to clear the hooks, then a sitting back movement. Then you push up and forward. I dont want to bang the front hooks or back posts as I am learning.

Is there enough room for this inside an R3 regular power rack 24" inside? (I am considering getting the R3 so I would like to ask.)

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Box squat in a Rogue R3 rack?

I don't have an R3, but my rack is 26" from the insides and I have no trouble box squatting inside there. You just won't have room to take 3 or 4 steps back. More like 1 setp out each foot, and then a little adjustment steps.

Ideally you'll have the bar moving around the exact middle of the cage.

Here's me box squatting a while back, and you see there is plenty of room. Ideally, I should probably sit back a tad more and plop less, but I also have room to move the box in more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fV4t...oQwi1g&index=6

(WFS)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
John Bird

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I don't have an R3, but my rack is 26" from the insides and I have no trouble box squatting inside there. You just won't have room to take 3 or 4 steps back. More like 1 setp out each foot, and then a little adjustment steps.

Ideally you'll have the bar moving around the exact middle of the cage.

Here's me box squatting a while back, and you see there is plenty of room. Ideally, I should probably sit back a tad more and plop less, but I also have room to move the box in more.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fV4tk_Yx_k&list=UUnola_VinKWGa8Q9noQwi1g& index=6[url]

(WFS)
Thanks for the fast reply - that was a good video to demonstrate. Congrats on the 350lb box squat, thats a lot.

I like the U2 Achtung Baby too, havent heard that in long time.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bird View Post

Is there enough room for this inside an R3 regular power rack 24" inside? (I am considering getting the R3 so I would like to ask.)

Thank you.
Easy. I learned to box squat at the affiliate I used to coach at--we had two "regular" R3s, which accommodated all sizes (from my 100-pound wife to guys who were over 6' and 250#s). I am 5'10"-ish and 180 pounds and have more than enough room--now have an R3 mounted to a platform in our garage.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bird View Post

Thank you.
Yep, I have an R3 and box squats are just fine. I really don't think people need more than an R3 unless 2 people are using the rack at the same time. Oh, and i LOVE my R3. Best purchase I've made for my gym (that, and stall mats).