CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Alicia Sloan

Profile:
Struggling with time to cook

I am finding myself suddenly on a no dairy and no soy diet (and no spices/heat at all) and totally clueless on what to cook. I should be eating at LEAST 2000 calories right now but with no time to prep (or I have to prep with only one hand and I'm not keen to hold a newborn baby beside a hot stove) I am so limited.

Here are some fast ideas I can think of, does anyone have any others to add?
- Boiled eggs
- Platter of vegetables pre-cut from grocery store
- Storebought jerky (I will make my own when I get some more free time)
- Nuts
- Guacamole with crackers
- Slow cooker meats, large batches of brown rice
- Drinking coconut milk

Also: What about frozen meals??? I know they aren't the best option but I'm really at a loss here. Amy's has some vegan or no dairy ones, are they worth it for a temporary solution? BTW thank you for the responses on my freezer meal idea thread, unfortunately this is a new issue with the removal of soy/dairy/spices!!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Rob Darden

Profile:
Re: Struggling with time to cook

A slower cooker will be your best friend in this situation for meats, sweet potatoes and veggies. Hard boiled eggs are great and convenient if you are on the go. Nuts, nut butters and oils are great way to get some calories in and healthy fats. Protein powders/shakes are another option, it's pretty easy to toss everything in a blender and get a complete meal.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

Thank you. Are there any non-dairy/non-soy protein powders that are worth it? I have heard of Vega but I've used regular whey for 10 years and have no clue which non-diary/soy to use.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

What does "no time" actually mean ?
Could you find 2 hrs to do a big cookup on Sunday afternoons for the week?Then just make a whole bunch of stuff for your week.

e.g.
Make things like this
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausa...#axzz2CcGSl8Bc (wfs) that is breakfast for the week. (about depending on meat how you cut it, about 300cals)

I also modify my guacamole to be grok-a-mole (also from Mark's DA) so it becomes more of a complete meal. I'll eat it on some lettuce for lunch.
e.g. 2 avocado, 3 eggs, some turkey or normal bacon, 2 tomatoes, little red onion, line juice.
I make it (today) and gives me about 3 easy meals ... or 2 with a few snacks. It's just a bit more substantial than guacamole and crackers.

Other things I do in that "prep-time" it cut up and roast a bunch of veges. Like butternut squash, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, sweet potato etc A whole bunch of it so I can just spoon it out and reheat quickly throughout the week.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

No time means a 14 day old baby randomly attached to my boob sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for an hour (so it's impossible to stay over a hot stove at times). The spare moments I have tend to be taking care of a 2 year old.

2 hours at once, no way, but I can certainly encourage my husband to take that time to do it if it's once a week!! Pre-cut veggies sounds like a good idea, I was buying them but it's so expensive, maybe I just need to force him into the kitchen instead of trying to do this myself lol...

It's just hard trying to suddenly change how I cook too, I used a lot of dairy before and my husband/other child love it too.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
Pre-cut veggies sounds like a good idea, I was buying them but it's so expensive,
This ... and the fact that anything pre-cut in most major grocery chains are the ones a day away from the dumpster ...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Daniela Jantzen

Profile:

Personal side note:
A baby tends to sleep ocasionally. Maybe your husband will find the time to babysit the two year old in the meantime, allowing you the luxus of time to cook what you feel like cooking/eating without having to juggle everything.

Or you have your 2 year old help you doing the cooking by sorting the vegetable cuttings according to size, colour, taste () etc. There are always ways to keep them busy and occupied, even at that age.

(Nothing meant personal or offensive in any way! )
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Clint Harris

Profile:

I think it's highly likely that the solution can be found with your oldest child .... and I'm not talking about the 2 year old. Tell him to man up and get in the kitchen.
I'm sure you're feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment so finding time will just seem like <another impossible thing to do>, but I'm sure if you really sat down a looked at it, the time spent now will save you later on in the week. You can find the time - just like blogging on the computer, watching TV and working out.
The 2hrs doesn't have to be concurrent either.. 10 mins cleaning chopping - go do something else - 20 mins mixing and prepping - go do something else - 5 minutes to put in oven - go do something else for 30+ minutes as it cooks - etc. Just start small with the one thing. Perhaps it's simply all the veges. Then add in some other stuff. It takes me way less time to do this now, than when I first started, so try starting with one thing and see how hard/easy it actually was, and then how much time it actually saved you in the long run.
"Dad" can even do this while he watches football ...... take a bowl, a cutting board and a knife to the TV and start cutting. Even better if he can see/here the TV from the kitchen.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Dakota Smith

Profile:

@Alicia so Clint shot me a recipe for carrots and parsnips yesterday!! Check it out, its damn good!!!

And Birdseye makes frozen steamable veggies which i eat almost everyday!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Wayne Sung

Profile:

Agreed... My wife and I have a 7 week old, we share the cooking duties. Sometimes if she is feeding the baby, I will cook. If I'm busy or such, she'll cook. Sometimes if the baby is sleeping/napping; we'll both cook together.