CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Jordan T. Nagasako

Profile:
recovery - working muscle groups that aren't sore

Here's an example I did some snatches, squats and overhead squats yesterday. Now today my legs are sore. If I go in the gym and do shoulders will that slow down my recovery on my legs? Even though their separate muscle groups? Is my body still in recovery mode and any other energy expenditure will slow it down? If instead I went for a light jog or swim would that possibly be better?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: recovery - working muscle groups that aren't sore

Light jog/swim would most likely aid in recovery.

Working your shoulders might slow recovery since you are now using resources to work your legs. But if you are getting good sleep, nutrition and hydration, you could probably get away with training your shoulders and still make gains.

Keep in mind a lot of strength athletes including bodybuilders and powerlifters might split their body and often work different regions on back to back days, which lets the local bodypart rest but puts some stress on the overall system.

Also overtime, if you build load gradually, and understand how your body responds to certain volumes, you might even handle training certain body regions back to back--see how oly lifters train, see how many sport athletes train.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Jordan T. Nagasako

Profile:

thanks for the reply! So some oly lifters do legs back to back days sometimes?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan T. Nagasako View Post
thanks for the reply! So some oly lifters do legs back to back days sometimes?
Yes, they easily will work legs everyday, often more than one time a day too. Of course there is a delicate system of working in the 3 position pull variations, along with catching in power positions, along with varying the loads. But your answer is a HUGE YES, they work legs everyday. An athlete must work up to that type of training, of course.

Mike's Gym had a strength cycle that had HEAVY Fr & B squats on Mon & Wed, with light (50-60%) days of speed/technique oly lifting on Tues & Thurs. At the tail end of them thursdays (even some tuesdays), it would really feel wierd to be crapping out on 50-60% loads. You dont fail, but your legs just burn with "im done". Funny thing is, some Max Out Saturdays, you could stil hit PR's. That is my example of when "I" started to push the limits of my body, and maybe doing a program I might not have been ready for, but I completed the 5 week cycle I think it was.

The 'soreness' is more sensitive to deal with than 'muscular fatigue'. I can almost do heavy oly lifting daily for a few weeks, but throw in just 1 day of high rep deadlifts or 200 wallballs, and Im done for a week. It's just what we get use to. Soreness happens often with the mainsite due to its pure randomness IMO.

Last edited by John C Corona : 09-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.