CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #21
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Small guy looking for some comparisons

When I started CrossFit (back in 2004, damn that was a long time ago) I came in as a runner/triathlete. I weighed around 153lbs and am 6 feet tall. Since then I have dedicated myself to a version of CrossFit I call "squatfit". I lift heavy 2-3 days a week, eat as much as I can, and now weigh 180ish with a goal weight this of 185. I've found that it's easier to gain strength while gaining weight and it's fun. I would recommend gaining at least 15-20lbs and upping your strength numbers considerably. I'm a B-level athlete and here are mine:

Squat: 405
Deadlift: 465
Clean: 315, maybe more
Jerk: 280
Snatch: 235
Bench: Don't know, F's my shoulders
Press: 150
Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
When I started CrossFit (back in 2004, damn that was a long time ago) I came in as a runner/triathlete. I weighed around 153lbs and am 6 feet tall. Since then I have dedicated myself to a version of CrossFit I call "squatfit". I lift heavy 2-3 days a week, eat as much as I can, and now weigh 180ish with a goal weight this of 185.
Bench: Don't know, F's my shoulders
Press: 150
Man, almost 10 years for some of yall early CFers. Awesome! Consistency with the LIFTS has definitely been my issue over the last 5 years.

Whats with your press? Increasing 5 lbs on the press seems miles away for me. Has your press stalled too? Some guys at my box have lower numbers everywhere else, but can get that bodyweight press! I think I know my problem (consistency), but do you know yours?

I really just wanted to share this video about bench technique. Its very likely you've seen it, but if not, maybe it'll help: wfs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Mvyt4pBQQ
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Bradley Ruehle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Maybe i'm weird, but 315 squat and your DL is only 365, seems strange, when I could squat 315-405 my DL was over 450, don't know if you guys need extra grip work or back work or what, but those DL's need to come up, especially if you're benching that close to your DL (in terms of weight)

I will agree though that to be more competitive at your height you should seriously be adding another 30-40lbs of solid muscle. Froning's stats list him as 5'9-5'10 and 185-195. So at 6ft you should easily be 190-205, to be at your optimal size/strength/stamina for Crossfit. The whole time you are adding muscle though I would def still keep up with skill/athleticism, make sure that muscle is useful right!

My grip strength is definitely the limiting factor in my deadlift # and oly #'s. If I use straps I can hang clean 225 for reps and I can't even clean 225 from the floor without them. What are some of the better exercises that you guys know for building grip?

I'm still young at 20 so my metabolism won't let me come close to 190-205. There was a time where I was trying to put on weight and I was drinking two meal replacement shakes a day that were close to 2000 calories each in addition to three meals and I only gained 1-2 pounds in a little under a month. Maybe the weight will come with time as I get older but right now its extremely hard for me to put on any substantial weight.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Ruehle View Post
My grip strength is definitely the limiting factor in my deadlift # and oly #'s. If I use straps I can hang clean 225 for reps and I can't even clean 225 from the floor without them. What are some of the better exercises that you guys know for building grip?

I'm still young at 20 so my metabolism won't let me come close to 190-205. There was a time where I was trying to put on weight and I was drinking two meal replacement shakes a day that were close to 2000 calories each in addition to three meals and I only gained 1-2 pounds in a little under a month. Maybe the weight will come with time as I get older but right now its extremely hard for me to put on any substantial weight.
Something that worked great for me was double overhand all my deadlift sets than I could, then switch to mixed grip. Also added in did high volume fat bar work. While doing 5-3-1, after my deadlift sets I did 5x10 at between 50%-70% of my work set on the fat bar for about 9 weeks (3 cycles) after my squat sets. Switch to mixed when you start to fail. This significantly raised my double overhand deadlift. Made a fat bar pretty cheap with a 7' long 2" galvanized pipe I picked up from Home Depot. I can double overhand 80% of what I can do mixed, which is significantly more than I can clean/snatch (I use hook grip for those lifts anyways)

When that gets strong then you shouldn't have any problem with the olympic lifts because they're significantly lighter (although you should be using hook grip for olympic lifts anyways)

And you need to eat a lot if you think you have a fast metabolism. If you want to weigh 190, you have to eat like you weigh 190.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 08-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #25
Dan Douglas

Profile:

All you smaller guys trying to add weight need to man up and embrace the typical american diet of crap. You see how many calories are in a double quarter pounder meal? That is *one* meal now. Portions are only the size of your fist if they are lard. I am 30% kidding.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Douglas View Post
All you smaller guys trying to add weight need to man up and embrace the typical american diet of crap. You see how many calories are in a double quarter pounder meal? That is *one* meal now. Portions are only the size of your fist if they are lard. I am 30% kidding.
Adding weight shouldn't be more important than overall health. In my opinion, that is.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Well, everyone has their own goals, life is about trade-offs.

However, I have my doubts when people cite "metabolism". You can easily offset any abnormally high basal metabolic demands that the special DNA everyone seems to think they have with not much food. Lets suspend disbelief and say someone is 10% more energy-consuming than average despite being 10% lighter than average. What are we talking, 300 calories? You can drink 300 calories in 0.001% of the time it takes to burn it. I am pretty sure these people percieve their eating habits as being much more than they are, or just want to gain weight in theory but not practice.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I agree. I think a skinny guy with a lifetime of undereating will up his consumption a bit and expect to gain a bunch, even though he's still eating under maintenance. I know a few people that are bone skinny and complain about not gaining weight, meanwhile they eat a tiny serving of chicken per meal and claim to be full.
Want to gain weight? Eat everything you see, wash it down with something with higher calories than water. If you feel full, don't stop. Cram it down your throat with a broom stick if needed.

Also, Dan, your signature cracked me up. Those are impressive stats.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
Dan Douglas

Profile:

I worked especially hard on the blue eyes! The secret: front squats.