CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: 315# Deadlift form critique

When I revisited that 275# (which I did X3 in my warm-up) with WL shoes, Invo8s and barefoot, all. I tried chalk, no chalk, wrist strap, back strap, no straps at all. I tried a lot of variation. It just didn't want to go back up.

I setup with the bar directly over where the laces would be tied, just under (or slightly inside) my shoulders, toes slightly outward. I grip using the reverse grip where I have always gripped based on actual face-to-face instruction.

I usually take a deep breath, lean over from side to side to grip the bar and just squeeze my pull up. I engage everything and squeeze my glutes pretty tight once the bar starts around my knee (even when I do fast metcons).

When I pull, I will keep the bar close to (or sometimes against) my shins. I know to keep it close. Now I am also trying to focus on keeping my chest up, which really helped in the warm-up as I flew through the 275X3 set with a smooth pull each rep.

I guess my body just feels like I am trying to put the square peg in the round hole. I will shift gears and try to increase it another way for at least a week or two before going back. Instead of getting angry I just need to get smart.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I have an updated 225X5 video after another frustrating session.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Yu6OwFuMg(WFS)

I did not deadlift on Monday, despite it being part of the plan. I figured some time off to let my lower back muscles rest a little may help. I even took the final set weight back down to 295#. I did 135X5, 225X5, 275X3 and when I went to 295, the weight wouldn't even budge. So I took it back to 275 and nothing. I decided to try and record this video (at night, the quality is so-so) and really take a look at my form with a light weight. It may appear as if the bumpers are not touching the ground, but they are. I have noticed the bar isn't quite going straight up and down and I am not sure if there is an indication of improper form there.

This video is barefoot and even (to my dismay) shirtless. My first rep looks like the worst, which definitely won't help at heavier weight. I did noticed that my 2nd and 3rd reps with my 275# warm-up were better than the first.

My lower back muscles have been getting worked during my back squat sets, but they are not "tweaked" or "tired" - if that makes any sense. They feel stronger and more pumped. My brain is hitting a no-fly zone with the deadlift.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I guess it is time to pony up and hit a 1-on-1 with an affiliate coach. Thanks the for help for my do-it-yourself coaching, haha.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
My first rep looks like the worst, which definitely won't help at heavier weight.
I don't know if it was just the angle, and I'm missing something, but your reps looked good to me, including your first rep. Yeah, there might have been a bit of bar path movement, but it wasn't major.

Do you do all of your deadlifting in the touch-and-go style? Touch and go has it's merits, but for me personally, I found that stop-and-go was much more beneficial for my development. When you touch-and-go, you miss out on the hardest part of the deadlift, which is the beginning. In the squat, you get the benefit of the stretch reflex to get you back up and out of the hole, but in the deadlift, you start from the bottom of the rep, without any stretch reflex help. If you only do touch-and-go, when you get to a heavy pull, it's going to feel much harder and heavier. On top of that, I think touch-and-go can be riskier, especially with heavy weights, since you can jerk the weight around and get in to a really bad and potentially injurious position without even realizing it.

The next time you do deadlifts, try and keep the weight at 225#, and think of doing 5 singles instead of 5 reps. Step up to the bar, set up, pull, put the weight down, breathe out then in, and then pull again. Take the time to make sure that you are really set in between reps. I don't mean that you should stand up, grab a drink of water, and then come back, but just be deliberate about each rep. Sometimes I open and close my hands while keeping them on the bar. That is usually enough time to get set and breathe.