CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Michael Travis

Profile:
Re: Biggest Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i think a show to encourage people to exercise and eat right is good. that said, i have never liked biggest loser. they lose too much weight too quickly, and they focus only on weight loss rather than body fat percentage. and they don't give any focus at all to improvements in physical performance.
The weight they are losing that quickly you have to remember is mainly water weight. When you are obese at the point these contestants are, why would you care about body fat percentage? Its high. Dangerously high. The main point as mentioned is to get them losing weight. Without that you don't have performance improvements anyway. The number one goal with people that are that fat is to lose weight. Water will be first (quick weight loss), and body fat will drop more slowly. Maximizing improvements in physical performance should not be a concern initially, other than technique for safety of course.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I think they do take fat percentage into account in the show. They also visibly improve work capacity over time. I just don't like all the crying.

Personally, I think it's great they mentioned CrossFit. Now, I can start corralling all the Biggest Loser followers into our box. Military bases love Biggest Loser challenges. They usually send their participants to go do P90X, Zumba, Boot Camp, or some other silliness. Some of them pay out of pocket to do this stuff when we can offer CrossFit classes for free. So, they can keep endorsing CF if they want in my humble opinion.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
The weight they are losing that quickly you have to remember is mainly water weight. When you are obese at the point these contestants are, why would you care about body fat percentage? Its high. Dangerously high. The main point as mentioned is to get them losing weight. Without that you don't have performance improvements anyway. The number one goal with people that are that fat is to lose weight. Water will be first (quick weight loss), and body fat will drop more slowly. Maximizing improvements in physical performance should not be a concern initially, other than technique for safety of course.
i would still care about body fat b/c regardless of how overweight they are i still don't think it's good if they are losing muscle mass. and every bit of muscle they lose (which is impossible to avoid when working out hard all the time and eating very little and losing massive amount of weight quickly) makes it that much harder to continue losing weight and easier to gain it back later. i also think it sets a bad example for the general public that watch to further enforce the false thinking that weight is what matters. most average american don't even know a thing about body fat percentage. when you are that overweight it might even be ok to lose a little muscle in order to lose some fat, but it still shouldn't be totally about weight. as you said, there is alot of water weight. so if one person is more dehydrated than another person then they might lose more weight but it actually has nothing to do at all with "real" permanent weight loss. it should be based on the person that has lost the most fat, or the greatest percentage of fat, or something along those lines. weight lost because of muscle loss or dehydration should not count in favor of the contestant. that's my two cents anyway.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i would still care about body fat b/c regardless of how overweight they are i still don't think it's good if they are losing muscle mass. and every bit of muscle they lose (which is impossible to avoid when working out hard all the time and eating very little and losing massive amount of weight quickly) makes it that much harder to continue losing weight and easier to gain it back later. i also think it sets a bad example for the general public that watch to further enforce the false thinking that weight is what matters. most average american don't even know a thing about body fat percentage. when you are that overweight it might even be ok to lose a little muscle in order to lose some fat, but it still shouldn't be totally about weight. as you said, there is alot of water weight. so if one person is more dehydrated than another person then they might lose more weight but it actually has nothing to do at all with "real" permanent weight loss. it should be based on the person that has lost the most fat, or the greatest percentage of fat, or something along those lines. weight lost because of muscle loss or dehydration should not count in favor of the contestant. that's my two cents anyway.
I'm not saying that fat loss shouldn't count at all, I'm saying that first and foremost, at the outset of the show, these people are dangerously overweight. That should be the first priority. Losing weight. Most of it will be water, then some fat. Many people don't know that obese people have way more lean mass than lean people, so losing muscle isn't really an issue here, at least not initially. I agree that the focus may be misplaced, but that's where the ratings aspect comes in. Should it be judged on % fat lost instead of % weight? Absolutely agree, just saying that for someone who is morbidly obese, if I was watching their health, my advice would be, "hey, you need to lose weight and now." Not, you need to lose some fat, but try to maintain your lean mass..

(Heres a sample of that study FWIW: Grossly obese individuals (FORBES, 1987; JAMES et al., 1978) may have over 30% more fat-free mass than lean individuals of the same height. In the example shown in Figure 3, the obese individual weighting 140 kg has a fat-free mass that is 29% greater than the 70 kg man. Obese individuals appear to have more muscle and bone than lean individuals, and these help support and move the excess body weight. Obese subjects have large vascular volumes and larger hearts, which are necessary to pump more blood around larger bodies, especially during weight-bearing activities. Obese individuals may also have visceromegaly (NAEYE and ROODE, 1970). Finally, adipose tissue contains about 15% water and 5% protein (SNYDER et al., 1975), so that the presence of excess adipose tissue is associated with excess fat-free tissue (although in obese individuals adipose tissue has a smaller fat-free component than in lean individuals).

Since all the above tend to increase fat-free tissue in the obese, dieting is expected to reduce the amount of fat-free tissue and cause a negative N balance. This loss should be regarded as physiological, although excessive loss of lean tissue, especially when it is associated with loss of body function, is clearly not desirable.)

MT
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Michael Petersen

Profile:

Every overweight person I have ever worked out with has been strong. They have to carry their excess weight around...they have developed muscle to do it.

Tracking lean mass vs. body fat for weight loss is certainly important once a person has gotten their body weight resembling something healthy. A 300-500 pound individual isnt anywhere near needing to worry about that.