CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Will B. Jones

Profile:  
I have been doing CF for about a month now, and am hooked. Seeing good results, and actually quite addicted to the WOD's. I do have some general questions, and hope this is the right spot to post, vs. the WOD area:
First, are the workouts just random, or is there a plan to the sequence of WOD’s? I have learned to trust Coach, but my curiosity has the best of me and I would like to understand if the ordering is by design, or pure random to keep our muscles guessing.
Second, it seems like leg workouts rule the roost. I checked the FAQ and other posts, but couldn't find anything to see why so much legs. I understand the concept of legs being the largest muscle groups, etc, but the “traditional” methodology of working the legs, rest, etc, doesn't seem to apply here. Again, is there science or some logic behind this, or just random?
If there is an FAQ or another post to referme to great, otherwise, I appreciate any answers. Regardless, love it, sticking with it, and can't seem to stop thinking about it.
Will
Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
I can't answer your first question about the "randomness" or lack thereof of the WOD since I don't really know myself what kind of order goes into it, but I at least know that there is definitely a lack of randomness to the madness. However, I don't know how much. :-)

What is this traditional methodology that you speak of? The fact that if you were to go to the the gym and workout your legs you would take a week off or so before your next workout? From a purely hypertrophy standpoint, hitting your legs with heavy weights or really any body part with heavy weights and then rest is generally how the bodybuilding community would suggest you go about building muscle. However, that is not the only way and maybe not even the most effective way to train. For instance, let us look at a few groups of elite athletes: gymnasts, olympic lifters, speed skaters, track sprinters. What do all of them have in common? They train the majority of the days of a week for multiple hours a day. The latter two, the speed skaters and track sprinters, all have massive legs. The traditional complaint is one of possible overtraining. Overtraining might occur if you were lifting heavy weights with high intensity for an hour, but these athletes don't do that. They specifically train for their sport and use weights where necessary. Thus, the work the legs and rest does not apply to them. The former two groups have awesome functional strength that can translate to great verticals and excellent body awareness, yet they train so much every week.

So what is the point to all this? What you have to understand as you gain more knowledge is that there is just not one set methodology of working out. There's tons of different ways to build muscle just as there are tons of different ways to focus on building strength. Some programs are superior to others in one category, but others are better at doing other things. You have to find out what works for you and use all this knowledge to figure the best method of training for you. CrossFit is probably one of the only programs out that there actually focuses on total fitness in all of the metabolic energy pathways. Most of the people on this site do the WOD along with another sport or hobby; thus, they use the WOD as a method of general physical preparedness (GPP) but also specifically train for their sport, and this works great for them.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Workout of the Day... Make sure you read the FAQ and the links under "Getting Started" to include the Foundations and other free PDFs. Links are on the front page (www.crossfit.com).

Old 08-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Will B. Jones

Profile:  
Thank you Steven for the reply. Good information. I was hoping someone would respond to the question about randomness or plan , but I will repost in the WOD area.
Thanks again!