CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Lisa Walker

Profile:
Ultimate CrossFit Garage Gym - Pictures, Floorplans, Diagrams?

Hi!

I have been reading many, many posts here this afternoon learning a lot of good stuff about building your own garage gym. My husband and I are getting ready to turn one of our garage bays into our own CF gym. We could really use your help with a few questions that I couldn't find the exact answers to when searching today:

1) Is there a top knotch garage gym (affiliate or private) who has any pictures posted, diagrams, floorplans, etc. where we can see what would be considered "the model CrossFit garage gym?"

2) I have also read through the CF Journal covering the ideal CrossFit gym. If I remember correctly, this was written aroung 2002. Is this still considered the standard? Are there any new modifications you would make to the layout or essential items since this was published?

3) Please list in priority order what you (today) would consider the essential pieces of equipment, supplies, etc. for the ideal CrossFit garage gym.

Many, many thanks ahead of time. I realize this has been brought up many times from various angles. Coming at it from this perspective will give me the exact info/direction needed.

Lisa
Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: Ultimate CrossFit Garage Gym - Pictures, Floorplans, Diagrams?

It's going to be hard to address point #1 as everybody's available space and equipment set up is different.

I think that the journal article discussing how to set up a garage gym is still the standard, but there are more options out there now that didn't exist before. I think that Wright bumpers have become a very common choice for bumper plates. They're hard to beat for overall $/#/value. Additionally, the pendlay crossfit or economy bars seem to have become very common choices. For rings, the common choices now seem to be the Elite II Rings and the Rogue Rings. I think that most people make plyo-boxes and parallettes rather than buy the ones recommended in the article. Other than that I think the recommendations are pretty much spot on.

Here is the order that I would stock a gym if I didn't just buy it all at once:
1. Olympic Bar/Bumpers/Pull-up Bar
2. Rubber Mats/Medicine Ball(s)/Abmat(s)/Rings/Jump Rope
3. Squat Stands/(and maybe safety racks)/Bench
4. Dumbbells (can be had cheap from Craigslist)
5. Concept 2 Rower (it was tough to call this one - I already had mine before putting together my garage gym)
6.Kettlebells
7. Misc Equipment depending on facilities - ie Rope if you're ceiling is tall enough; parallettes
8. Glute Ham Developer
Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Derek, Thanks so much for your responses. All of this info is tremendously helpful!

Best wishes!

Lisa
Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

#3 before #2, even though it's more expensive. You're not going to squat without a rack.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Thanks Brandon. Good point.

And another question.....should we get a full cage or is the rack sufficient? Is there ever a time you wished you had a cage? I guess I'm wondering if anyone ever has found the need/use for those safety bars that you can set to the left and right of you on the cage as you bench, squat, etc. I just trained at CrossFit Soquel last week and I don't think (not sure of this) but I don't think that they had a squat cage.

Lisa
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Parker Craig

Profile:

Crossfit Alpha looks like a really nice garage gym. You can go to his wesite and view some pictures.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I would put rings on an equal footing with bumpers/bars, possibly even higher. Glassman claimed that with rings alone he could increase a person's bench press almost 2x. For $70, it's a great ROI. I also like working to get one comfortable with their own (internal) weight (calisthenics, gymnastics, plyos) before having them move alot of bar/KB/DB (external) weights.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
#3 before #2, even though it's more expensive. You're not going to squat without a rack.
In a perfect world I'd go with a rack first too, but currently I don't have one. And yet I still squat. Overhead, front, and back. I have to clean the weight so its lighter than what I can handle. Obviously I haven't done anything close to max efforts in any form of squat. Give me a month and I'll move my gym equipment to the garage and get some stands. Right now stands would clash with my living room decor.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
I would put rings on an equal footing with bumpers/bars, possibly even higher. Glassman claimed that with rings alone he could increase a person's bench press almost 2x.
Is there an article where he explains how he would do this, and how long it might take. I'd like a 600# bench.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

If you don't have bumpers then you need a safety rack. It also has the benefit of sometimes including a pullup bar. Plus you can do stuff like use it to spot bench presses, or rack pulls. Or band stuff.

Handy, but I wouldn't call it necessary.