CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Albert Carr

Profile:
Hello all, Ace here. A newbie to the crossfit experience. I am 5'9 175 and a hardgainer. To maintain my current weight I must eat approx. 3000 calories per day. Is it really possible to gain some size/lean mass while sticking to the blocks with the zone diet. Everything that I have read says yes, but I wanted to hear from some real individuals. My bodyfat never rises above 10%, even when not eating very clean and I would like to get my BF to around 6-7%. Any other hardgainers out there have any luck with the zone diet?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I do not think it is not feasible to gain weight while eating at a block number calculated for weight loss which is generally where everyone starts at. If you wish to gain weight on The Zone you have two real options that I believe the best results come from using both and fine tuning your approach. You can either eat 2x,3x,4x, or 5x fat or really more if you'd like but the official suggestion tops out at 5x. The other option is to consume additional blocks. They key to this is to make a moderate change for instance going from 16 blocks to 18 blocks at 2x fat and evaluating what happens after the course of say two weeks. If the goal is weight gain and none occurs, add another block or two OR go to 3x fat. Wash, rinse, repeat. I have the best results eating at a number of blocks that gives me 1g protein per pound lean body mass with 3x-5x fat. Your results may vary.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I started the zone at 19 blocks when I weighed in at 185 and 10% BF (This was after I dropped 35 pounds on no particular diet, just Crossfit). I dropped down to 179 pretty quick without losing in the strength realm. Since my overall goal is to add significant strength numbers to my paltry base, I decided, based on info read here, to up my fat intake by 3x. Now, 4 weeks into this new diet phase and my weight has gone back up to 182 but my BF % appears to be the same and I am seeing surprising strength gains. My squat went up 25# in two weeks and I am pretty sure that I am about to get my muscleup. Tomorrow I am due for ME Standing Press (Im following Coach Rut's ME black box) and I am pretty sure that my numbers here have also gone up.

To Recap, establish a baseline and then slowly add from there. If you change too much all at once, you wont know what to attribute the changes to.

Oh yeah, Welcome!!! :banana:
Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Albert Carr

Profile:
Thanks Nick and Nick for the advice I will begin with the prescribed zone diet and go from there. What do you get all your fat intake from. I eat plenty of nuts, olive oil but the fat in salmon, etc isn't counted towards fat blocks. Also, do you keep your protein blocks the same?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Albert, yes you keep the protein and carb blocks at whatever number you have determined and multiply the fat blocks accordingly. I usually drink olive oil for my extra fat. I have a measuring cup that looks like a shot glass and I use it like one.