CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey everyone,

If someone has a seriously low calorie diet (for their BM), and had been eating that way for a long time, so long that their body won't burn any BF, no matter how hard the exercise. Would the best option be to have a higher fat low carb eating plan?

I would presume if someone has been so low calorie for ages, as soon as they increase it the body would jump on the chance to store as much as it could, thinking the body will be in half starvation mode again soon, is this correct? Would jumping into a higher fat diet be the way to go to prevent extra BF storage? I don't mean super high fat when i say that, just that if someones been on such a low-calorie diet, that generally means low fat intake too.

Also, how long would it take for someone to make this change to start noticing some results, so they know what they are doing is actually working? Couple weeks?
Keeping in mind they are also exercising around 5 times a week.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
i want to say, that not only uptake the fat a bit, but to also up the protein intake as well. I think that it would help because this persons body will use the fat for energy leaving the protein to build lean muscle, which in the long run will help burn more fat and calories. How old is this person and how much does this person weight, is going to widely depend on how much fat and protein to uptake. I agree with you nikki on lowering the CHO intake if the goal here is to build a fat burning machine.

I also think that you would see a change with in two weeks like you said. Exercising 5 times a week is alot, especially if they've been on such a depriving calorie diet.

just my thoughts...ill be interested to see what everyone else says..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I would gradually and carefully increase his/her calories and make macronutrient manipulations based on how their current breakdown looks like. No matter what, I think this person will probably benefit from a lower carb/higher fat intake given that these are the only two macronutrient requirements (carbs aren't essential) and that if the person was on a standard junk food diet AND was calorie restricted they would likely be falling very short on protein and fat maintenance requirements. With the gradual adherence to a low carb, but higher calorie diet I think your client will see an amazing increase in muscle and all around healthy body mass. More info would help.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
If the person has been on a low calorie/low fat diet, I would proceed with extreme caution. Needless to say, at this point in time, their endocrine and metabolic system is deranged at best. John Berardi has some excellent info on "resetting the metabolism." I would suggest putting them on a macro split similar to the Zone for now. The last thing you want to do at this point is shock their system by going low carb high fat. IMHO, a moderate approach is best. Increase calories by around 100-200 calories per week.

Like Charles mentioned, exercising 5 days per week may very well be excessive given the circumstances. What do their workout sessions look like?

Echoing Greg's comment, more details would really help. Age, weight, BF%, current macro split, calorie intake, etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks guys. I talked to my client today and he's happy to start evening out his meals a bit more by eating more good fats and more protein. I'm getting him to write out what he eats for the next week, till i see him again. He generally eats the same things everyday, dinner is the only meal that really changes, so i'm happy that he makes sure he has fat and protein in every meal to be a good way to slowly start increasing calories and getting a good amount of macronutrients into him. Next week do the same with maybe an extra handful of almonds a day or something like that, to increase calories again? (and hopefully get him more paleo along the way)

Eating plan a couple weeks ago: (he also has a low GI PWO shake (aprx 15g protein, 23g carb + 2 egg whites. Which i think he's now having fairly often as an after dinner replacement for biscuits + extra protein intake as well)

M1
2 eggs
2 x toast
coffee

M2
Corned beef s/wich
Yogurt
manderine

M3
Biscuit
Tea

M4
Fish
Rice
vegies

M5
Biscuit
tea

39yr male. ~25% BF
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
great idea with the addition of almonds on the following week nikki! keep up the good work over there!! :banana:
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Looks good so far. I would also slowly weed out the dairy and grains, by gradually replacing the dairy with nuts/seeds and the grains with fruits and vegetables. Good luck and keep us posted!