CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Next month, I'll be hosting a workout that incorporates the use of a pool. Although I already have a workout in mind (I'm thinking rounds of swimming, burpees and pull-ups would make a nice combo), I'm looking for other 'fun' stuff for us to try. In the past, Coach has mentioned fetching a 45# plate from the bottom of the pool and Matt G. mentioned something about supporting a filled 5 gallon jug overhead while treading water (tried the last one - no luck, even with a less-than-half-full jug). Anyways, I was just curious as to what some of you have tried (and the results).

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
One thing I do every swim workout is to swim underwater with fins for the length of the pool, come up for a few breaths and swim back. I do 20 lengths and try to reduce my time every workout. I'm down to 12:30 for 20 and 5:30 for 10. Real lung burner.

Another one I did with my boys the other day was to see how fast we could swim a length, do 10 pushups, swim back do 9 pushups and so on down to 1 pushup. Our swim stroke went to pieces quickly...very demanding.

Relay race with a T-shirt or towel in each hand for a single length or a 50...whatever you want.

Tug of war. Hook two swimmers up to a line and have them swim in opposite directions.

You guys are going to have a blast and be smoked afterwards.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Dan Silver

Profile:

Hey Ryan. Check community for "My Swimming WOD Results" to see my recent foray into the world of water. The hypoxic/underwater stuff was the most interesting. The pool was a blast, I miss it.

-D.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Eugene, that workout with the swims and pushups is a great one. I have a Stew Smith one that I do often (actually, I just got home from doing it) of 10 sets of 100m Free + 20 pushups + 20 situps...no rest. I've done it often enough over the years that I can hold my stroke together (looks OK on video), but it feels like crap by the 5th round.

As for things to try in the pool...
1. Treading water with any weight (the Sparkletts jug is just a crazy goalie thing).
2. Laps wearing clothing (shirt or pants) or towing things (I have a 5-gallon plastic jug).
3. Sprints to one end, duck walk back to the other end (or crab walk, etc.).
4. Cycles of run-swim-run (run 800-swim 200-run 800 would be good for not-so-great swimmers).
5. Ladder drills...from the wall, sprint out about 5 yards then back. Without rest, sprint out about 10 yards and then back. Still no rest, sprint all the way to the other end. Now rest. Do these head-up (water polo style).

Relays of some kind are also always good and tend to keep both good and bad swimmers interested.

Be warned with the swim + pulllups bit. Swimming incorporates a lot of lats...and so do pullups. Performance on both will suffer...which is great if your subjects are masochists (like the rest of us) and mentally strong. But it can also get them down easily if they feel like they're not doing well.

And like Eugene I love underwaters and work on them all the time (though without fins). A word of warning though...if you're going to do them, have your swimmers buddy-up. There's nothing more frightening than having a swimmer pass out mid-underwater. I've done it on long underwaters, and I've had friends do it too. You need someone watching your back for safety.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Matt, you suggested I try the 100m sprint/push-up/sit-up workout last summer. IIRC, I only made 5 rounds. One of the unique things I remember about that workout was the high degree of disorientation I had everytime I was getting out of the pool (after a while I just crawled to the push-up position). I'm wondering if I put pistols directly after sprints if it'll turn into a water-based version of bat races (i.e. people falling over because of balance issues). Might not be the best for developing elite fitness, but it would be good for some laughs (and it'll get the legs involved - I'll have to cushion the cement for the potential falls, though).

Lots of good ideas here. Thanks, gents.

Ryan
Old 05-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Ryan, if you want a leg drill, here's another goalie/polo drill:

Two people line up back-to-back. Using eggbeater (treading) they push each other around the pool. Typically you try to see who can push the other to the wall, starting from the center of the pool. No hands.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I like that one, Matt. Maybe I can combine that with the 'King of the mat' concept we use for MMA. The winner stays in the pool for another match, loser leaves.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Eric Moffit

Profile:
you could try stations. basically, you come up with one drill/exercise per lane. spread individuals or small groups evenly amongst the lanes and go for a certain amount of time. then rotate to the next lane. kinda like a group FGB. you could also make it so the time spent in each lane is dependent on one lane's performance. for example, one lane pulls, one lane kicks, one lane does 100 IMs, one lane does 25 sprints and then 10 pushups at one end and 10 situps at the other, one lane does 25 underwater no breathers, and the last group just swims. you could make the time in each lane dependent on the regular swimming lane's time to complete a 500 (or whatever is appropriate). of course, all this can be scaled to skill and you can use whatever drills you want. and if you want you could figure out a way to score it and make it a competition.

another thing you can do is a snake. similar idea but slightly different execution. youll do a different thing in each lane again, but when you complete a 25, you move into the next lane. you could make it a certain number of times through for time or for the number of rounds over a specified time. an example might be like a Chelsea snake where you do 5 pullups in one lane, 10 pushups in the next, 15 squats in the next, and then you could add maybe situps, burpees, and lunges for the next couple of lanes.

just writing this reminds of the good ol' days w/ my summer league swim team. have fun!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Eric Moffit

Profile:
oh yeah, another fun thing ive tried is binding hands and feet and attempting to swim over to a set of goggles at the bottom of the deep end, going down and getting them (using the mouth), and then returning w/ them. it takes a bit of comfortability in the water as well as patience, but its challenging and pretty fun.

and then theres always drown-proofing where you bind hands and feet w/ optional blindfold, head to the deep end, and bob for a while. this is great for promoting comfort in the water.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Thanks for the additional ideas, Eric!