CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Steven Aaron Barr

Profile:
I compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and train for competitions with 4 classes of BJJ and 3 full body weight lifting routines per week. I would like to replace my current full body weight lifting routine with the WOD but am unsure how to go about this. Doing 4 BJJ classes a week, in my opinion, would not allow me to do the 5 or 6 WOD posted on your website, thus, I would have to leave some workouts out. I think 4 crossfit workouts per week is my max. My questions are:

1)Should I just skip some of the workouts in the week? If so how do I know the best ones to skip?

2) Should I simply follow the WOD in the order they are listed but take longer than a week to complete (say a week and a half rather than a week)?

3)Should I simply do the 5 or 6 WOD on top of my BJJ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Steven Aaron Barr

Profile:
P.S. Is the WOD the best way for a BJJ person to train?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Hi Steven, welcome to CrossFit!!

I'm in no way qualified to answer all your questions .. . hopefully, others will add their 2 (or 4, or more) cents.

A couple of thoughts:

Most of us here would say that CrossFit is going to be the ideal *GENERAL* physical preparation for a variety of sports, and especially those (like BJJ) that require a high level of fitness across many dimensions (limit strength, explosive strength, some endurance, flexibility, coordination).

It will in no way substitute for the specific skill training that you need for BJJ . . . you still have to do the drills. And it probably won't substitute for any *specific* fitness requirements you may have for that sport (although, naively, I don't think there would be too many).

Deciding how to fit the training into your BMM classes is another challenge. Some folks manage to do it (stay on the 3/1 schedule for CrossFit, and still play BJJ regularly) . . . but I don't think I could. Those who do, usually do their CrossFit in the morning and their BJJ at night.

I would probably take a critical view of my weaknesses as a BJJ player (do I gas out in the 3rd round? Do I just not have enough strength to get someone off me on the ground?), and also get my instructor's opinion about my biggest conditioning weakness. Then, I'd make darn sure I didn't skip any workouts that addressed that need (metabolic conditiong, limit strength, or strength endurance).

Whatever you do, start out slow on the CF workouts . . . concentrate on good form and consistency before ramping up the intensity. Some of the workouts can really burn you out, especially if you're already in pretty decent shape . . . you can really put a hurting on yourself.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Steven Aaron Barr

Profile:
David,

Thanks you for the information. I will definitely take this information into account when I start corssfit.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Hey there Steven - I have at times combined Muay Thai, BJJ, and CrossFit, and currently do both BJJ and CrossFit. CF will definitely get you in great condition for BJJ -- people commented all the time when I started getting strong, because it was very noticeable to anyone I rolled with.

Advice I would give is --

Make sure you have total rest days. A rest day isn't a day you only work out once. A rest day is a day you do nothing but recover.

Try to do your workouts on opposite ends of the day if possible, or leave a few hours in between. While there are some benefits to going to BJJ tired and not being able to "muscle" your technique, it will really take away from your sparring time.

Listen to your body and know that when you first jump into the new schedule it may take a couple weeks for your body to adjust. I was really exhausted for a while, but eventually my body caught on and I was able to keep the schedule with no problem.

I don't do 3 on 1 off -- I arrange my schedule around my work and around my jiujitsu. I do CF 4x a week on average on whatever days it best fits for that week.

Hope that helps! :-)
Old 02-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Gazzy Parman

Profile:
Steven,

If you're trying to compete while maintaining your professional life it's going to be tough.

You don't want to over train, and you need to get enough rest. Getting up early enough to do your CF workout, then eat and go to work would be ideal. Then at night you can train your bjj.

If you absolutely have to leave some of the workouts out, I'd take the one's that have more explosive cardio built around them. Which is most of CF workouts anyways that's why it's great for bjj. Some days though I've found that there are more strength building days. Strength can be great for our sport but it's not everything.

we want rowing, sprinting, and running as intervals to the other excersizes to best benefit our sport.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Adam Levenson

Profile:
I try to do BJJ/Xfit monday to friday and I do nothing on week ends.

If I happen to do something physical on the week end, I will cut my training intensity during the week.

Overall, the main component of training at this level is eat well and sleep lots.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Hey Steven,

I'd just reiterate about the complete rest days being important. I train Capoeira 4x per week and have had the same question about when to train and rest.

The following schedule works for me, you could sub my Max Effort (ME) and Resistance (RE days) for any kind of WOD, body weight training, MET-CON, or Oly lifting to suit your goals.
Monday- am-ME upper body pm- 90 minutes Capoeira
Tuesday- foam roller, food, massage, meditate etc.
Wed- pm- 90 minutes Capoeira
Thurs- am- RE upper body training
Fri- pm-120 minutes Capoeira
Sat- am- ME lower body afternoon-light Capoeira
Sun- foam roller, lots of food, massage, meditate etc.

I'll continue with this until around April or May then will scale back the ME lifting, add a day of Capoeira, and perhaps add 1 Metcon workout.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Good to see Gazzy posting. Kick at ADCC.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
I think the best advice in this series of responses is to make sure that you are specifically addressing the weaknesses inherent in your game. I roll 4 or 5 days per week, and try and do about 5 additional workouts per week. I have a naturally high cardio capacity, and an acceptable amount of strength, but what I really need is some explosive/ dynamic strength. Therefore I don't spend a lot of my extra workouts on intense intervals or lengthy metcon sessions. I've found that two things that carry over to BJJ wonderfully are intense bodyweight moves and heavy posterior chain moves, specifically olympic lifts. THerefore, I focus on those, Doing MEs for these lifts or handpicking my WODS to address these issues: WOD's with ring dips, HSPU, Pullups, cleans, DLS (read Elizabeth and DIane).