CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:
Review of Spun Performance Compression Shorts

While looking for a new pair of compressions shorts, I stumbled across Spun Performance through this message board. I jumped at the chance to buy these, since I needed a new pair anyways and thought why not: get a new pair of compressions shorts and support a fellow CrossFitter at the same time. I want you to all know that I purchased these, and this is my own review - Greg did not send me these shorts to review.

The delivery took 5 days to get to me in Canada and was well worth the wait.

Having owned a pair of Under Armour, Nike and a few other brands of compression shorts, and a pair of SKINS compressions pants I was out to see how these ranked among them.

First Impression

• Fantastic look – black, not to fancy with graphics
• Stitching was solid with no loose threads
• Lettering was perfect with none scratched off or peeled off

First Time Wear

I decided to wear them the next day for my WOD to begin the test run. After one wear I was impressed (it wouldn’t be until a week later that I was sold completely – more on this later). In between days, I wore my other compression shorts to get a good feel for comparison. At first, I didn’t notice to much of a difference, but it wasn’t until the WOD wore on that it hit me, that the compressions shorts I was currently wearing (UA) no longer felt like compression shorts and instead just a pair of tights.

Second Trial Run

It wasn’t until I went back to my SPUN shorts, and after washing them once, that I was 100% completely sold. You could feel the compression – sort of speak instantly – something I like. If you’ve ever worn SKINS before, feels exactly the same. Today’s strength work called for 3RM Clean, some Power Snatches, some Clean Pulls and 3RM of Clean Deadlift. The WOD itself was a barbell complex followed by a 200m sprint (4 rounds). I could actually feel the compression throughout the entire WOD. They did not loosen up like my other pairs of so-called compression shorts. This was a huge bonus.

PROS

• I like how the SPUN performance has a strip of plastic/rubber (not sure of proper material name) on the waist band that prevent them from at all sliding – just in case they do.
• They don't ride up like some other
• Maintain their compression and stay tight
• Nice look
• Keeps you warm
• Spot on with sizing (for me, sizing was exactly the same as SKINS)
• Doesn't feel wet to the touch like some of my other compression shorts after sweating during WOD/workout/run

CONS

• Don’t have enough pairs yet for everyday use
• Would really like a white pair

FINAL 2 cents

The customer service and support from Greg was awesome. He was quick to answer questions/e-mails, and in this day and age, that isn’t something I personally see to often. For the price that these compression shorts are currently selling at, $34.99, I think they are reasonable and competitively priced compared to the big guys I could purchase at a local sporting good store. However, after comparing, I don’t want to wear my other ones anymore and think SPUN is worth the 5 day wait and price point. I would highly recommend these shorts to anyone looking at purchasing a new pair of compression shorts.

Thanks again Greg.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:
Re: Review of Spun Performance Compression Shorts

How does the sizing run- By waist size?

I've been debating on these for a while now.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
How does the sizing run- By waist size?

I've been debating on these for a while now.
Hi Nalin,

Waist size, height, and weight are all factors. With material being so stretchy I find that there is a lot of latitude when it comes to sizing. The shorts are a bit easier to fit than the pants too.

Assuming an "average" height to weight ratio:
5'6" - 150
5'10" - 180
6' - 200
6'3" - 220

I usually think of sizes correlating to height as follows
Small - up to 5'7"
medium - up to 5'11"
Large - up to 6'3"
Xl - 6'4" and above

Add a size if you are really built or stocky. Subtract a size if you are really lean or thin.

Hope that helps. I would have just directed you to our sizing charts, but they are constantly evolving based on the feedback we hear from our customers.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

I used the chart Greg has on his site and it was spot on for me.