CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Datsusara Light Gear Bag review.

We talked about gear bags for a while, and I pulled the trigger on a Datsusara LGB.

I had a chance to live with the Datusara Light Gear Bag for a month or so. BEST FEATURE..4 water bottle slots on the outside. For us, we put two water bottles, and two powder shakers, and none of it gets in the bag. SECOND BEST FEATURE..There is space to put two large pairs of gym shoes flat on the bottom of the bag. No shoe stacking needed, leaving plenty of room for a few clothing items, sweatshirt, and towel.

Currently, the end pockets are holding tape, first aid, rep counter, lacrosse balls, compression gear, and the randomness of the day.

The hemp is kinda cool. Its about as sturdy as new Levi's. It's less structural than super heavy ballistic nylon but it's also lighter and more flexible. It looks more black in person than it does in the picture. There is a sheen to the hemp that is picked up in the camera. Stitching seems sturdy, doubled and tripled at times. The zippers are Heavy Duty and thick. They are not the cheap ones. Stress points are reinforced, and the seams are ribboned on the edges. I have not put it under huge loads yet. The bag is quite comfortable to toss around. It lies nicely on your back and does not have hard points like heavy duty ballistic nylon. Funny..I never noticed how loud nylon is until I started carrying this bag. Ninja bag?

If I could add anything, I would add corners to the closure flaps on the front pockets. The valuables pocket has a zipper. The other pockets have flaps that leave a minor gap on the sides. If the flaps were cornered, I would be prone to put smaller items in them like keys. However, they are perfectly suited for tape, gloves and larger items, just make sure to put your keys in the most secure pocket. I'd also add a couple fixture points, and maybe a mesh pocket to the lid of the main pocket. ..but don't let those ideas hold you back.

Also.. the price point is fairly aggressive (69.00'ish) for such a unique feature rich, but low key down to earth bag.. I have several bags in the range, and I'd consider this one, a High on the value meter. Especially if you hunt down one of the codes.

http://wig.bz/p2?product=collections...s/products/lgb (SFW)

All the best,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	datsubag.jpg
Views:	3949
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	9099  

Last edited by Rob Brown; 03-16-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Chris S Odell

Profile:
Re: Datsusara Light Gear Bag review.

Ninja bag, I like that heheh. Nice honest and detailed review Rob, thanks for sharing that

I'll take note on the corners of the flaps issue, that's a good idea as is the mesh pocket on the top flap. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Jamie Hentig

Profile:

Looks like a very nice bag and has a good price!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K Odell View Post
Ninja bag, I like that heheh. Nice honest and detailed review Rob, thanks for sharing that

I'll take note on the corners of the flaps issue, that's a good idea as is the mesh pocket on the top flap. Thanks.
Thanks for the reply Chris. It's nice to know your paying attention! I try to be as honest as possible. You have a great value return for a unique design. ..for instance the Nat Geo hemp gear starts at $89 for a purse and goes up to $290 for a backpack, add the fact that most boutique CF products prices are sky high, it's nice to feel like we are not being squeezed. Please take my minor ideas as a wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hentig View Post
Looks like a very nice bag and has a good price!
I like that it's got an interesting lineage, but looks under the radar. I'm not into the 'check me out' look for my bag.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Tony Vienneau

Profile:

How much bigger is the next size up?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vienneau View Post
How much bigger is the next size up?
I stole this pic from their site. I thought about the big one too.. the small one is good for two pairs of shoes and an outfit change, and a light jacket in the main pocket. There are end pockets that I have yet to fill.

One thing I forgot to say in my review is that it came with a free 'Nasty bag'. Basically a waterproof cinch sack for grubby clothes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PGBvsLGB2_Black_1_grande.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	9100  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Alex Keller

Profile:

Jealous... Have been wanting an LGB since my bro got his backpack from them.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

Do they only sell online or can these be bought in Canada?

And anyone ever compare these to the Rxed bags or King Kong bags?

These bags look awesome.

Nice write up as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Rob Brown

Profile:

I'm going to back away a bit on my request for cornered pocket flaps. In my case I was trying to find a spot for some memory cards, and camera batteries. I realize now that 99% of people will never need them.

Here are a couple detail shots of the seam construction on the main pocket zipper as well as the fixtures on the top deck. The zipper pulls are a hearty nylon webbing. I think this helps in the ninja quietness of the bag, there is no zipper jingle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	datsubag_02.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	9110  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Chris S Odell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calogero Vassallo View Post
Do they only sell online or can these be bought in Canada?

And anyone ever compare these to the Rxed bags or King Kong bags?

These bags look awesome.

Nice write up as well.
Calogero, we have one distributor up there but they are online too, if you have a place that you think might want to carry our bags for brick and mortar sales send them my way please. but we do ship to canada and it's not too expensive if you use a coupon as well (like on our FB page).

As for comparing to KK bags well I think you can see where their design came from but they did do some crossfit specific changes our design and if you are not interested in the hemp properties (breatheable, anti-microbial etc.) then it's possible the synthetic materials might last longer or be better for sharp items.

thanks again to Rob and Alex for your comments, noted on the pockets Rob but it still might be nice.