CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Jason Denny

Profile:
Review: Reebok X-Functional Board Shorts

When Reebok took over the CrossFit merchandise I was angry. Time has passed and things have settled down and I found that I was in need of new shorts. I currently use 15 yr old soccer shorts, yeah, I'm that guy. Since I will obviously use them from a long time, I went looking into quality board shorts. As luck would have it, I worked out with one of the Reebok graphic designers for the CrossFit line (the Reebok print facility is just around the corner). He was wearing the X-functional shorts. He loved them and they looked impressive, however, I kinda winced at the $60 price tag. Well after searching for decent board shorts, I discovered that they are just as expensive (some actually more so). I decided to give these a try. WOW. They are VERY comfortable. The "body" of the shorts are made of a fairly thick stretchy material that flexes in all directions. The closure and fly are Velcro but are not stiff like the MMA shorts I have and hate to wear. The crotch is a stretch "jersey" material I guess to allow the shorts to breath. I noted the the stitching is all top notch and looks to be quite durable. These appear to be well built. After a few days of doing squats, burpies, running, etc, all I can say is WOW. Burpies are when I usually feel the old shorts lack of give. The Reebok shorts gave so much I could not even feel I was wearing them. After lots and lots of sweating (I have hyperactive sweat glands), they never soaked through and never smelt bad. The waist gives just a little but are not elastic. I wear 36 waist jeans 34 shorts (why this is different I'll never know) but these come in standard S,M,L,XL sizes. L=36" XL=40". I have a pair of MMA shorts that are 36" and are horribly uncomfortable. They are tight around the waist for some reason. So, I ordered the XL to be sure they had room. I had the wife take them in 2" to make a perfect fit...not too tight, not too loose. I plan on ordering 2 more pairs. Best money I have spent on my workout clothing, so comfortable that I find myself wearing them around the house after I get home from the gym...no rush to change. Well worth the money. I'll give Reebok props for designing these rather than taking an off the shelf board short and label it a "CrossFit" short. These are designed for working out...and working out hard. I hope this may help others who have seen the pictures but not sure what they will be getting.