CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Hate to bring this up in what is an otherwise very positive environment, but my condolences go out to all Law Enforcement people, Canadian and American.
For those of you who havent heard, four of Canada's bravest, RCMP, were shot dead while conducting an investigation at a Marijuana grow up, at a small farm, in a town north of Edmonton, Alberta. Sounds like the shooter was waiting for them as they arrived and stepped out of their cruisers. All four officers had less than 3 years on the job.
Once again, my thoughts go out to the Police Officers, in particular, those ones in Canada, today.
Steveo
Old 03-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Wow, that's such a waste. My prayers go out to their families. That would be the hardest news for me to ever receive.

Veronica - wife of a chippie
Old 03-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Thanks Steven,

I stopped for a moment of silence in thier honor.

Beth
Old 03-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
Steveo, I'm angry. Four good men died and I can't shake the feeling it was preventable. All of the news accounts describe lightly armed officers on the property of man with a very long history of violence including plenty of gun play.

This is from the press conference:
(http://tinyurl.com/5hgne)

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes bristled at questions about the tactics the Mounties used on the fateful day.

He acknowledged the weapons the officers were armed with were no match for the “rapid-fire high-powered rifle” used by Roszko.

Oakes also said the RCMP can’t get tough with someone just because of their criminal past. “We treat people with respect. And while we have to be mindful of their past, if we see somebody walking down the street that we’ve had a past history with, we don’t automatically take out our guns, and start pointing them at him,” he said.

I've done enough grandstanding. Heartfelt condolences to the Mounties in the community who lost colleagues. All you guys in the field know what you need to do to be safe. No misplaced "respect", please.

Brian
Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
The sad reality is that law enforcement gets so much slack from the media and public about "police brutality" "unneccessary force" and etc. That many officers are becoming hesitant to draw their weapon soon enough. It's a sad state we are in when those that work to protect us cannot do what they are trained to do without first having to over-evaluate the situation and in so doing are unable to protect themselves.

I send my husband off every day telling him to "stay safe"
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Good point Veronica. About 10 years ago I was talked to a frind on our SWAT team. He was involved in an incident, on patrol. They went to pick up an EDP (emotionally disturbed person) in a trailer park (go figure). The guy pulled out a knife and started swinging at my friend. My friend drew, pointed his weapon, and remembered saying to himself "I'm in trouble now!" The guy stopped advancing and ran. They followed, pinned him against a trailer, a K9 was let loose and he cut the dog. The dog handeler got ****ed and hit the guy with a leash, guy lunged with the knife at the dog handeler and took a 2 9mm from a Colt SMG to the chest, from another SWAT guy. Lesson, our guys think too much about the legal, political, media, ramifications of using deadly force...even when justified!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

My condolences as well.
Sometimes I wonder how you folks live with the knowledge that no matter how it looks, what you see is not necessarily what it is. Day after day after day of, "is this sob gonna freak on me, or do I get to home tonight in one piece?"
I'm not even a cop, but I did run into one of them situations once.
I walked out of some store at a strip mall, and saw this guy beating on a woman. He had her bent backwards over a car and was backhanding her, front handing her, just slapping the hell out of her. Me, being the save the poor damsel in distress type, immediately ran over and kicked him off of her and knocked him down. I jumped on top of him and pinned him down. As soon as I did, I felt a sharp pain in my back, then another, and another. I turned around to realize that the same woman I had just "saved", was now stabbing me in the back and neck with what looked like a ball point pen. So while trying to hold this guy down and fend off her attacks at the same time, I lost control of him. He managed to punch me in the face, and throw me off of him.
I got up and ran, feeling like a total fool.
You just can never know.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
John Phipps

Profile:
I offer my condolences as well for the family and friends of the fallen.

There was a topic discussed a few weeks ago http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/7425.html

I have ordered and am now reading Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's books "On Killing" and "On Combat". It is eye opening. He discusses the psychological desensitization and conditioning the army goes through to train soldiers to kill. This same conditioning is now in mainstream movies and video games. There is a worldwide increase is serious assaults and murder rates. One of the reasons I train is in order to more of a sheepdog and less of a sheep. I want to be ready when the wolf is at my door.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Michael Keller

Profile:
My heart and prayers go out to the families. As a former LEO/SWAT guy, I've been in many of these situations and know all to well that many do not have the mindset to do what needs to be done. The media and public puts LEO's under such scrutiny that they are sometimes afraid to do their jobs and it ends up costing them their lives. It is truely sad.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
Troy Archie

Profile:
I live in Edmonton and this is a horrendous event that everyone is talking about. If I'm not mistaken, this is the single largest amount of fatalities in Royal Canadian Mounted Police history and I think even in police history in Canada so **** is hitting the proverbial fan up here. Something like this is so rare in Canada that when it does happen, the aftershocks are felt for years ahead.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/rcmp/