CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
I've been reading a lot about carb manipulation. One thing that's mentioned over and over again is that low carbs bring about flat muscles, due to depleted glycogen. Have any low carbers here experienced this? What was your approximate carb intake per day?

Also, has anyone experienced the "rebound" effect of carbs? That is, gone very low carb for a while, then gained fat after reintroducing carbs? Does anyone know how low and how long carb reduction would need to be for this to take place?

(Message edited by Dark_Knight on January 31, 2007)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I don't think most people here do "low carb" nor have I seen it suggested that I can remember.

Zone or Paleo are the methods of eating suggested. Neither is low carb. Zone gives you more carbs than either fat or protein. It is not however high carb.

If you eat zone you will not "flatten out", except for your stomach
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
what do you mean, flat muscles? if you mean shape, then that's wrong: genetics and specific anthropometry decide the shape of your muscles.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
I personally don't know what they look like. I've only read about it. Basically, since the glycogen in the muscles contributes greatly to their volume, when the glycogen becomes depleted (due to restricted carbs), the muscle volume decreases.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
"Flat muscles" is more troublesome with bodybuilders who literally change their diets with the season (on and off season ha!), drastically manipulate their macronutrient intake, and run elaborate cycles that throw off hormonal balances. As a result, water weight rises and falls making the muscles appear full or flat.

Strict paleo for over a year now and never experienced any such problem. Actually quite the opposite. Muscles look rock hard and don't have to worry about a full belly around the clock anymore (the look most guys in the gym sport nowadays).

Also keep in mind majority of crossfitters follow paleo/zone protocols for health and performance goals. Body comp changes is the added bonus. Not the other way around.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Jason Steele

Profile:
Zone is low carb in comparison to the USDA plan. Read the protein power lifeplan (someone here recommended it, forget who), it is Paleo oriented and refutes assumptions like flat muscles. Pretty does not necessarily mean functional!