CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #111
Brock Cochran

Profile:
Re: Military says You’re Too Flabby For CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
(WFS) http://www.wpafb.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123184484
(found it while searching for a gym while I'm there)

Troy, maybe some of the "brass" are uninformed, but a Colonel (O-6) and Chief MSgt (E-9!!) were into this. Apparently they realized its use for deployed Airmen & servicemembers, so its a step in the right direction.

Not to shabby, IMHO. There was also a video (found on google search) that stated there were "20 certified instructors" so perhaps they mean L1 cert.

The video is from Facebook. It is a public page.
I work at Wright-Patt and have worked out in this gym a couple times. It's very nice and an awesome alternitive to the regular Globo-HAWC. They are even expanding it because the membership is so high.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #112
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
No, but it has everything to do with the lameness of the brass. It's embarrassing what our military's leadership has become.

Everyone in the service seems to be against me here, but I'm not bashing you guys. I'm bashing the policy makers. I don't serve for a number of reasons- impracticality due to my family situation, detest at who my commander and chief would have been or would be, and this little problem called type 1 diabetes.

None of that discounts what the brass is doing, and what I hear from my numerous friends and family members in the military, all of whom have the same perspective and same kinds of stories. And that's not counting the selling out of the soldiers on the ground with all these show trials we've been seeing lately.

Then there are more national stories- I'm trying to avoid politics because it's in the rules, but in the WWII era, the Ft. Hood shootings would probably not have gone down like they did. A guy like the shooter would have been identified when he gave speeches about his religion the way he did. The people being shot would not have been unarmed, as is now the rule brought about during the era of a certain peanut farming president. I won't breach the gender norming trend...

But while the female thing is up, I don't care if a woman is a soldier, I have two female cousins in the marines and we're all proud of them. I have a problem with all the ing that female sailors do just to try and get pregnant to get off of the ship, for example. Call it tertiary or whatever you want, it happens a lot.

Good God, people, I'm not against you in any way. I'm a citizen who gives a about this great country's military, and doesn't always like what he sees at the top. I'm allowed to do that.

You've never been injured before?

I like your idea of joining it and fixing it though- I can enlist tomorrow, do boot camp for however long it is, then set out to work reforming the entire military? A modern day Lycurgus, Seaman Becker? Seems a little unlikely to me.

Exactly, dude, exactly.
I'm sure your buddy hurt his knee

Not against us? You called all the women whores. Who else works at a brothel? There are issues there, but you don't have the perspective to have an opinion on them. Man, why do they call officers brass? You don't have the perspective on our culture to have this conversation.

Regardless of any of this sidebar. The problems the military has, won't be fixed by CrossFit, no matter what you think. They won't be fixed by you slurring female Sailors or senior leadership, why post about it here?

Lycurgas, cool big words, isn't he some kid that quit BUD/S? Or was he the one who couldn't join and took potshots from the sidelines?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #113
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
I'm sure your buddy hurt his knee

Not against us? You called all the women whores. Who else works at a brothel? There are issues there, but you don't have the perspective to have an opinion on them. Man, why do they call officers brass? You don't have the perspective on our culture to have this conversation.

Regardless of any of this sidebar. The problems the military has, won't be fixed by CrossFit, no matter what you think. They won't be fixed by you slurring female Sailors or senior leadership, why post about it here?

Lycurgas, cool big words, isn't he some kid that quit BUD/S? Or was he the one who couldn't join and took potshots from the sidelines?
Wasn't his knee, was his back. But I appreciate the cynical arrogance, since we know each other so well.

I compared ships to floating brothels to make a point- the out of control ing around that happens so much, but if you look for it, you won't find me accusing ALL female sailors of doing that anywhere.

I am an American citizen with an albeit limited view inside the military, but that is a perspective, and one that is important since this is (supposed to be) a democratic republic. I'd like to know that the military protecting my greatest of great nations is top notch, and not everything evidences that these days.

It's too bad, too, because we could have had a more enlightening conversation if you hadn't gotten soooo offended, which is what I'd like to do. I never said that CrossFit would somehow fix the military, I simply floated the idea that the reason that the military didn't like CrossFit was because of the whole "kinder gentler" PC run amok thing.

Oh, and Lycurgus was the guy who reformed the Spartan military to what it was famous for being with the agoge and all that.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #114
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
Okay at 8 pages I am not going to troll right through but the Canadian Forces have implemented CF. It appears to be working fine.

WFS http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Fitness/...003-pt-z01.pdf WFS
Hey James, just to add to your post, they call it "battlefit" up here and it is basically a modified crossfit. The strength aspect of it is missing quite often (no weighted squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts) but I guess it works out pretty well.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #115
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
Hey James, just to add to your post, they call it "battlefit" up here and it is basically a modified crossfit. The strength aspect of it is missing quite often (no weighted squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts) but I guess it works out pretty well.
I would guess that taking away most (all?) of the weighted training would be a sure-fire way to reduce a lot of the more severe injuries -- BW exercises tend to be relatively non-harmful even if you go to failure (pushup to failure all you want, you won't end up dead -- or the military would have been out of business a long time ago).
Old 09-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #116
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Wasn't his knee, was his back. But I appreciate the cynical arrogance, since we know each other so well.

I compared ships to floating brothels to make a point- the out of control ing around that happens so much, but if you look for it, you won't find me accusing ALL female sailors of doing that anywhere.

I am an American citizen with an albeit limited view inside the military, but that is a perspective, and one that is important since this is (supposed to be) a democratic republic. I'd like to know that the military protecting my greatest of great nations is top notch, and not everything evidences that these days.

It's too bad, too, because we could have had a more enlightening conversation if you hadn't gotten soooo offended, which is what I'd like to do. I never said that CrossFit would somehow fix the military, I simply floated the idea that the reason that the military didn't like CrossFit was because of the whole "kinder gentler" PC run amok thing.

Oh, and Lycurgus was the guy who reformed the Spartan military to what it was famous for being with the agoge and all that.

I know you brother.

Your perspective is flawed. I have no interest in "enlightening" discussion with you. I'd be doing all the work.

What would top notch look like to your expert eyes? Show me what's not top notch by showing me something better.

The "military" doesn't like "CrossFit" (like it's personal) because it is risk averse when it comes to training injuries. Kind of pointless to have a radioman IT like your theoretical BUD/S quitter buddy, hurt himself striving for "elite fitness" and losing a qualified, if mostly useless, body. Except that then the civilian 20 year olds can kvetch like they're worldly wise about the "weakening, PC military" like they have some idea what they're talking about. I think "the military" is wrong about that but hey I also never liked getting extra work because some idiot hurt himself, so I get it.

I have several women Sailor clients who left ships to go to the sandbox and came back injured and PTSDed out for a lot of reasons. I'm sure they'd love to find out that they're whores because they were on ships. It's insulting, for the whole damn Navy to have some punk with no knowledge about this stuff to run his mouth about it. Many of the people I served with had " family situations", disagreed with the Commander in Chief yet still found a way to put their money where their mouth is. Pat Tillman you ain't.

Hey, it's your opinion, you have a right to it. You're welcome. I'll tell my friends you appreciate them too.

And thanks for the education on Lycurgas.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #117
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Your citizenship gives you the right to an opinion. It doesn't make you any less of a jerk for describing people you've never met as pansies and whores.

As for the US military being top notch... Find another one anywhere in the world that's better. (By which I mean the entire force is better. I'm not comparing elite units or elite individuals here.) Sure, there are legitimate grounds for criticism; no large organization is perfect. But I doubt you'll find any organization -- public or private -- that executes its mission as consistently or as well under anything approaching similar constraints.

Katherine
Old 09-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #118
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Your citizenship gives you the right to an opinion. It doesn't make you any less of a jerk for describing people you've never met as pansies and whores.

As for the US military being top notch... Find another one anywhere in the world that's better. (By which I mean the entire force is better. I'm not comparing elite units or elite individuals here.) Sure, there are legitimate grounds for criticism; no large organization is perfect. But I doubt you'll find any organization -- public or private -- that executes its mission as consistently or as well under anything approaching similar constraints.

Katherine
I never once claimed that the military was full of pansies. I said that the leadership of this country seems intent on making them into pansies. I never once said that the US military was not the best in the world either- clearly it is. I want it to stay that way.

How hard is this to get?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #119
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
I never once claimed that the military was full of pansies. I said that the leadership of this country seems intent on making them into pansies. I never once said that the US military was not the best in the world either- clearly it is. I want it to stay that way.

How hard is this to get?
Didn't the Spartans require service in order to be a citizen, maybe that Lycurgas guy was on to something. It would keep BNDNs from having "opinions" based on video games and how fast their Fran time is.

You did say the women were whores though. And the pansies was implied strongly.
The US military has always been a social experiment. It has also always been able to get the mission done, rest easy, concerned citizen. I believe you want it to stay that way, and I believe you're doing your part.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #120
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The Spartans also had a whole class of helots to grow their food and do all the menial work required to keep a city-state running so the free citizens could rule the country and spend all their time training in the agoge.

So yeah, Sparta deserves some admiration for its toughness and asceticism, but it's not like you can draw a direct parallel between their system and ours.

Every generation likes to think they were the last good or tough generation, and that everyone coming after them represents a downturn in quality. That stuff was going on in the Marine Corps in the early 1900s and I think the WWI and WWII generations acquitted themselves just fine. I bet the pre-Persian War Spartans ran their mouths nonstop about how the current generation of Spartans had gotten soft, but things went ok for them at Thermopylae and in later battles. I've talked to plenty of Korea and Vietnam vets who think today's kids come out of boot camp far better prepared for real-world situations than their peers did, both in terms of physical and mental preparation.