CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
Jackson Smith

Profile:
Cell Mass vs. creatine monohydrate

I just started my first cycle of creatine, having purchased Cell Mass at GNC for about sixty bucks. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Cell Mass or another "creatine ester malate" vs. standard creatine monohydrate, which I've found for much, much cheaper online. Any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Re: Cell Mass vs. creatine monohydrate

Unfortunately you got ripped off. Stick with the monohydrate.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Brian Cornwell

Profile:

I've heard that any gains that you make while taking creatine as far as hypertrophy and strength will dry up when you stop taking it. Excuse my ignorance if this is incorrect or common knowledge, I was just wandering if this was true or not?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

That is fairly accepted.

On the other hand, any gains made by deadlifting will go away if you stop deadlifting, too; it's just a question of how long it takes. As long as you don't end up WORSE off than you would've been without taking it at all (and I don't know any reason that would be true), it seems like a worthwhile tool.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
Tony Stock

Profile:

Creatine seems to affect people differently. I have tried it about 4 times now and everytime I get the same result. I seem to be really fatigued after workouts, even into the next day. I did not notice any gains in my ability to workout harder or lift more. I actually felt that it made me weaker. I guess it works differently with everyone. I have only tried monohydrate. This last time I made sure that I didnt change anything in my routine or diet just to give it a solid test. I tried it for about 2 months and had to stop. The next day I felt better than ever.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Eric Lester

Profile:

A few months after I started Crossfit I bought some flavored Creatine powder from GNC. I'm not sure if it was monohydrate or something different. Everytime I did a metcon on it I threw up. Had quite a bit of sugar, so I am not sure if it was that sugar or something in the creatine.

I switched to just basic monohydrate from the same company and had no pukie problems.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Kevin Perry

Profile:

I think Robb Wolf said something around only 25% are non-responders to creatine. Some people take it for health purposes though. As for as I've researched monohydrate is the best form to get and the other versions are just hyped up rip offs. So far I've been using it in my program taking it before bed, before and after training. I've gained weight but that could be just from the calorie in versus out. Not sure.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Darren Zega

Profile:  

I've noticed that I seem to feel a little extra juice in the tank on my metcon workouts when I take creatine after waking up, but little to no effects on my max effort workouts. It might be placebo, but it feels like it's doing something for me.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

I found a lot of weight gain from adding creatine is from the increased amount of water in the muscle. I got horrible cramps when I supplemented with creatine because I needed to drink gallons (yes literally) a day of water to not get cramps. So I cut it out. I've been making gains without it, and I don't want to have to take it the rest of my life, so I figured I'll get as far as I can without it.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Something pretty street-wise I once heard was: don't buy supplements with shiny labels. if they have to try that hard to catch your attention, there's nothing worth paying attention to.

good rule of thumb.